Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to define slip at wall only with slip length?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am simulating a slip flow in a V grooved micro channel. Its only a pressure driven flow where, slip is given at the microchannel wall i.e, on the walls of 'V'. When I am using the Slip velocity under 'Wall' tab (to be defined as boundary condition) it is giving me an error "Internal error in solver. Inconsistent non ideal constrainst". I have attached error message.

2 Replies Last Post 19 dic 2015, 19:05 GMT-5

Posted: 1 decade ago 24 apr 2012, 17:12 GMT-4
I'm having a similar problem. I'm working on a basic model of a tidewater glacier and would like to use viscous slip as my basal boundary condition. I cannot find a definition for slip length (Ls) in the Comsol literature, so I'm not sure if the default value is appropriate. I've tried values ranging from 1 to 1e-7m, and in all cases I eventually get an error saying: "failed to find consistent initial values. segregated group 2" and "internal error in solver. Inconsistent non ideal constrainst. Last time step is not converged." Any help would be greatly appreciated (and I can post a copy of my model if anyone would like to see it).
I'm having a similar problem. I'm working on a basic model of a tidewater glacier and would like to use viscous slip as my basal boundary condition. I cannot find a definition for slip length (Ls) in the Comsol literature, so I'm not sure if the default value is appropriate. I've tried values ranging from 1 to 1e-7m, and in all cases I eventually get an error saying: "failed to find consistent initial values. segregated group 2" and "internal error in solver. Inconsistent non ideal constrainst. Last time step is not converged." Any help would be greatly appreciated (and I can post a copy of my model if anyone would like to see it).

Posted: 9 years ago 19 dic 2015, 19:05 GMT-5

Hi
I know it has been a long time since you posted this.
I used to get the same error while I was simulating a dropping liquid interface due to evaporation.
I managed to solve this by defining a zero displacement of the wetted wall. That is, if the wall is vertical (i.e the fluid slips vertically in y-direction), define a zero wall displacement in the horizontal direction (x). I'm not sure if doing this works in any cases, but it did solve my problem.
[QUOTE] I'm having a similar problem. I'm working on a basic model of a tidewater glacier and would like to use viscous slip as my basal boundary condition. I cannot find a definition for slip length (Ls) in the Comsol literature, so I'm not sure if the default value is appropriate. I've tried values ranging from 1 to 1e-7m, and in all cases I eventually get an error saying: "failed to find consistent initial values. segregated group 2" and "internal error in solver. Inconsistent non ideal constrainst. Last time step is not converged." Any help would be greatly appreciated (and I can post a copy of my model if anyone would like to see it). [/QUOTE] Hi I know it has been a long time since you posted this. I used to get the same error while I was simulating a dropping liquid interface due to evaporation. I managed to solve this by defining a zero displacement of the wetted wall. That is, if the wall is vertical (i.e the fluid slips vertically in y-direction), define a zero wall displacement in the horizontal direction (x). I'm not sure if doing this works in any cases, but it did solve my problem.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.