Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Error in multiphysics compilation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hey

I am working on an axisymmetric solid heat transfer model. The model has two adjacent domains - solid and fluid. I have given a radially symmetric velocity profile for the fluid. My inlet temperature boundary condition is a time variant one, with the function being cubic polynomial. I however notice that the model works for some cubic polynomials and doesnt for some others. For the ones it doesnt work for, It says

"Error in multiphysics compilation" - Is it that the software isnt able to go around the cubic equation or am i missing somethin else here?

I would like to know an answer for this asap since i have urgent deadlines to meet. Kindly help! I am using the 4.2 version

Cheers
Vishwas (IIT Madras)

2 Replies Last Post 12 apr 2015, 02:04 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 20 apr 2012, 02:57 GMT-4
Sometimes, this error occurs when Comsol runs out of memory during the "Compile Equations" step of the solving sequence. Why the error in that case doesn't just say "out of memory", I don't know, but this behavior has been reported on this forum several times and I've seen it myself as well. So before you look any further, you should make sure that isn't the case. You'll find instructions on how to increase the "Java heap space" somewhere in the Comsol Knowledge Base.
Sometimes, this error occurs when Comsol runs out of memory during the "Compile Equations" step of the solving sequence. Why the error in that case doesn't just say "out of memory", I don't know, but this behavior has been reported on this forum several times and I've seen it myself as well. So before you look any further, you should make sure that isn't the case. You'll find instructions on how to increase the "Java heap space" somewhere in the Comsol Knowledge Base.

Posted: 9 years ago 12 apr 2015, 02:04 GMT-4
I confirm this problem. I had the same error showing up while trying to solve an eigenfrequency problem. I just increased the Java Heap Space for both MATLAB and COMSOL and it worked.

To increase the Java Heap Space for MATLAB open the java.opts file in your "mli\startup" subdirectory in your COMSOL installation directory. In that file change the number after Xmx (double it at first). Save the file (to save the file you must probably have administrator privilages when you edit the file, which means that you should open your text editor in Administrator mode). Changes apply when you save the file and restart COMSOL with MATLAB.

To increase the Java Heap Space for COMSOL the file is comsolserver.ini (or something like that depending on your version) and it is in the "bin" subdirectory of your COMSOL installation directory. Also change the number next to the Xmx, save and restart the program.

It is good practice to create copies of the files you edit before you edit them, in case you want to go back to the original settings.

This got past the error.
I confirm this problem. I had the same error showing up while trying to solve an eigenfrequency problem. I just increased the Java Heap Space for both MATLAB and COMSOL and it worked. To increase the Java Heap Space for MATLAB open the java.opts file in your "mli\startup" subdirectory in your COMSOL installation directory. In that file change the number after Xmx (double it at first). Save the file (to save the file you must probably have administrator privilages when you edit the file, which means that you should open your text editor in Administrator mode). Changes apply when you save the file and restart COMSOL with MATLAB. To increase the Java Heap Space for COMSOL the file is comsolserver.ini (or something like that depending on your version) and it is in the "bin" subdirectory of your COMSOL installation directory. Also change the number next to the Xmx, save and restart the program. It is good practice to create copies of the files you edit before you edit them, in case you want to go back to the original settings. This got past the error.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.