Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Hinge

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

Is it possible to model a hinge on a beam?How?

How about other joints like ball joints,etc?

I'm quite new on COMSOL. Thanks for helping.

1 Reply Last Post 28 mag 2012, 05:47 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 28 mag 2012, 05:47 GMT-4
Hi

COMSOL is not set up naturally to handle "rigid body" physics in a global sens, although everything is in there, it's a question of writing out the equations and adding in an appropriate GUI. I have heard this has been considered, so I hope it will come once ;)

In the mean time you need to use the available elements. In v4.2 you have the rigid BCs (not sure about 4.1), that means you can set them up on a boundary of your beam (but this makes the boundary fully rigid=stiff) and then impose a rotation on this boundary, as a rigid element rotating around an arbitrary axis (try the multiple right click menus)

The other way is to write out the equations and add in additional ODEs, there are several examples on the forum, perhaps still mainly set up for 3.5 but these can be analysed and converted to v4

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi COMSOL is not set up naturally to handle "rigid body" physics in a global sens, although everything is in there, it's a question of writing out the equations and adding in an appropriate GUI. I have heard this has been considered, so I hope it will come once ;) In the mean time you need to use the available elements. In v4.2 you have the rigid BCs (not sure about 4.1), that means you can set them up on a boundary of your beam (but this makes the boundary fully rigid=stiff) and then impose a rotation on this boundary, as a rigid element rotating around an arbitrary axis (try the multiple right click menus) The other way is to write out the equations and add in additional ODEs, there are several examples on the forum, perhaps still mainly set up for 3.5 but these can be analysed and converted to v4 -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.