Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Is it Possible to Couple 'Heat Transfer in Pipes' and 'Heat Transfer in Solids' Surface Boundaries without Geometric Contact

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello All,

I am attempting to use the Heat Transfer in Pipes interface to simplify a model which couples flow through a pipe with the heat transfer in a solid domain surrounding it. However, as the 1D model represents the 3D pipe with a single line segment (zero radius), this leaves space between the boundary of the solid domain and the edge of the line segment. I have included a simple picture to illustrate what the geometry would look like.

Is there a way to couple the Wall Heat Transfer node with a Solid Domain that is not in contact with the line segment, as well as one of the Thin Structure Boundary conditions for the Solid Domain with the 1D line segment?

Thank you all in advance, Andrew

2 Replies Last Post 27 mag 2021, 12:31 GMT-4
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 3 years ago 25 mag 2021, 15:13 GMT-4

Hello Andrew,

In simulations of this nature, unless you have a specific reason to do so, you don't carve out from the 3D block the space occupied by the pipe. See this example.

Best regards,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hello Andrew, In simulations of this nature, unless you have a specific reason to do so, you don't carve out from the 3D block the space occupied by the pipe. See [this example](https://www.comsol.com/model/cooling-of-an-injection-mold-12371). Best regards, Jeff

Posted: 3 years ago 27 mag 2021, 12:31 GMT-4

Hi Jeff,

I appreciate the quick reply.

I was aware that this was the usual procedure, however, after doing a simple validation there does seem to be some small error in the temperature distribution when the solid domain is assumed to have no space carved out.

Unfortunately, this may be implicit in the 1D modelling of 'Heat Transfer in Pipes'.

Thank you for your time, Andrew

Hi Jeff, I appreciate the quick reply. I was aware that this was the usual procedure, however, after doing a simple validation there does seem to be some small error in the temperature distribution when the solid domain is assumed to have no space carved out. Unfortunately, this may be implicit in the 1D modelling of 'Heat Transfer in Pipes'. Thank you for your time, Andrew

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.