Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

confinement loss

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi
is imaginary part of refractive index could be positive or negative that means 1.028175433939737e-19 or -1.028175433939737e-19. I found in my simulation positive and negative values for different values of wavelength, is it possible.

Plz help me

Regards

Samiul

8 Replies Last Post 22 apr 2016, 05:10 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 5 giu 2012, 14:55 GMT-4
Hi

for me a 1e-19 compared to 1 is so small that you must be seeing rounding errors, or the limit of the binary number (differential) precision.

check the doc, for the sign of the index or the equations, as indeed there are two conventions +and -, I do believe COSMOL uses the negative, but I always check twice with the doc before I start any optics simulations, as there are several of these conventions

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi for me a 1e-19 compared to 1 is so small that you must be seeing rounding errors, or the limit of the binary number (differential) precision. check the doc, for the sign of the index or the equations, as indeed there are two conventions +and -, I do believe COSMOL uses the negative, but I always check twice with the doc before I start any optics simulations, as there are several of these conventions -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 6 giu 2012, 01:52 GMT-4
Ivar
Thanx for ur quick reply.

Samiul
Ivar Thanx for ur quick reply. Samiul

Posted: 1 decade ago 31 ott 2012, 17:48 GMT-4
Hi var,

do you know some probably reasons for getting the negative confinemnt loss (I found this is strange and using 3.5a Femlab)...is the accuracy the probably reason? thanks for reply!!!:)

best regard
huab
Hi var, do you know some probably reasons for getting the negative confinemnt loss (I found this is strange and using 3.5a Femlab)...is the accuracy the probably reason? thanks for reply!!!:) best regard huab

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 1 nov 2012, 03:01 GMT-4
Hi

I have no definitive answer, but my suspicion goes to steep gradients or dirac type BC or initial conditions. In fact it's only since I'm really playing with COMSOL that I understand the importance of using always functions that can be derived once or better at least twice. Far back my math and physics professors always banged on the table with : " do not forget the hypothesis that functions must be continuous" while explaining PDEs, no I see it in practice.

In 3.5 you have the Heaviside functions to help you, in v4 these are also given as pre-cooked step and rectangle functions . Still one need to adapt the mesh or the "FEM sampling", as I like to call it, to these steep gradients

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I have no definitive answer, but my suspicion goes to steep gradients or dirac type BC or initial conditions. In fact it's only since I'm really playing with COMSOL that I understand the importance of using always functions that can be derived once or better at least twice. Far back my math and physics professors always banged on the table with : " do not forget the hypothesis that functions must be continuous" while explaining PDEs, no I see it in practice. In 3.5 you have the Heaviside functions to help you, in v4 these are also given as pre-cooked step and rectangle functions . Still one need to adapt the mesh or the "FEM sampling", as I like to call it, to these steep gradients -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 1 nov 2012, 16:24 GMT-4

Hi

I have no definitive answer, but my suspicion goes to steep gradients or dirac type BC or initial conditions. In fact it's only since I'm really playing with COMSOL that I understand the importance of using always functions that can be derived once or better at least twice. Far back my math and physics professors always banged on the table with : " do not forget the hypothesis that functions must be continuous" while explaining PDEs, no I see it in practice.

In 3.5 you have the Heaviside functions to help you, in v4 these are also given as pre-cooked step and rectangle functions . Still one need to adapt the mesh or the "FEM sampling", as I like to call it, to these steep gradients

--
Good luck
Ivar

Hi ivar,

thanks much for your detailed reply.. I have a try to change something than have a look...I learned from somewhere that the PML mesh is better to use quad mesh, I am not sure about that just hera form somewhere`... is that right? another question is that if the pml is too thin,is that has possibility to cause the result of negative confinement loss?

thanks

Best regards
[QUOTE] Hi I have no definitive answer, but my suspicion goes to steep gradients or dirac type BC or initial conditions. In fact it's only since I'm really playing with COMSOL that I understand the importance of using always functions that can be derived once or better at least twice. Far back my math and physics professors always banged on the table with : " do not forget the hypothesis that functions must be continuous" while explaining PDEs, no I see it in practice. In 3.5 you have the Heaviside functions to help you, in v4 these are also given as pre-cooked step and rectangle functions . Still one need to adapt the mesh or the "FEM sampling", as I like to call it, to these steep gradients -- Good luck Ivar [/QUOTE] Hi ivar, thanks much for your detailed reply.. I have a try to change something than have a look...I learned from somewhere that the PML mesh is better to use quad mesh, I am not sure about that just hera form somewhere`... is that right? another question is that if the pml is too thin,is that has possibility to cause the result of negative confinement loss? thanks Best regards

Posted: 1 decade ago 2 nov 2012, 00:31 GMT-4
Hi

I count around 10% of main model dameter, but if RF at least several wavelength thick.

Then indeed I mesh the interiour, then I finish the PML shell with a Sweep or quad with at least 5-10 elements in thickness

I center the model in the PML airea/volume, check the PML type and origine (default "0" is not always the middle of the domain

I find the easiest way to make a PML region is to use the "Layer" feature (v4) of the surrounding "air" domain

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I count around 10% of main model dameter, but if RF at least several wavelength thick. Then indeed I mesh the interiour, then I finish the PML shell with a Sweep or quad with at least 5-10 elements in thickness I center the model in the PML airea/volume, check the PML type and origine (default "0" is not always the middle of the domain I find the easiest way to make a PML region is to use the "Layer" feature (v4) of the surrounding "air" domain -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 3 dic 2013, 22:13 GMT-5
Hi Ivar,

I have read your answer, but I still don't know how to solve my problem. My problem is that the imaginary parts of mode effective index (i.e. Confinement Loss) are sometimes positive and sometimes negative. From the mode field distribution, I can know these two modes must be fundamental modes (same mode filed distribution with two polarization). They also have the same real part. But the imaginary parts are different, one is negative and another one is positive.

What I have done:
1, When I use comsol 3.5a, the imaginary parts are both negative. but use the same model in 4.3, the results are different.
2, I though the loss is too small ( 1E-5 dB/m ) to have rounding error. I adjusted the tolerance in Solver from 1E-6 to 1E-10. But the results didn't change.

I am very confused with this problem. Positive imaginary part means this mode in the fiber has Gain rather than Loss. It doesn't make sense for a passive optic device --- Photonic Crystal Fiber.

If you need, I can upload the COMSOL file.
Please help me. Can you tell me where the errors are?

Thanks very much.
Hi Ivar, I have read your answer, but I still don't know how to solve my problem. My problem is that the imaginary parts of mode effective index (i.e. Confinement Loss) are sometimes positive and sometimes negative. From the mode field distribution, I can know these two modes must be fundamental modes (same mode filed distribution with two polarization). They also have the same real part. But the imaginary parts are different, one is negative and another one is positive. What I have done: 1, When I use comsol 3.5a, the imaginary parts are both negative. but use the same model in 4.3, the results are different. 2, I though the loss is too small ( 1E-5 dB/m ) to have rounding error. I adjusted the tolerance in Solver from 1E-6 to 1E-10. But the results didn't change. I am very confused with this problem. Positive imaginary part means this mode in the fiber has Gain rather than Loss. It doesn't make sense for a passive optic device --- Photonic Crystal Fiber. If you need, I can upload the COMSOL file. Please help me. Can you tell me where the errors are? Thanks very much.

Posted: 8 years ago 22 apr 2016, 05:10 GMT-4
@Leon Lyman

Did you solve the problem of having inconsistent imaginary values ? how ?
@Leon Lyman Did you solve the problem of having inconsistent imaginary values ? how ?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.