Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

contact surface

Thanigaivelraja Mohandass

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am new to comsol . I want to design the shape of the contacts as structured in Relays. I tried with the shape given in our comsol but i couldn't, Will you help in this issue?I will be grateful to you . help me in these too by giving any ideas, suggestions, theory note or examples. Thanking you. Thanks in advance. Regards Thanigaivelraja Mohandass

2 Replies Last Post 14 lug 2021, 02:28 GMT-4
Sören Mechanical Simulations

Posted: 3 years ago 7 lug 2021, 06:50 GMT-4
Updated: 3 years ago 7 lug 2021, 07:05 GMT-4

Hi,

maybe you can give some more information about your problem. Best would be a simple example.

However, there is some nice information online. https://www.comsol.fi/support/knowledgebase/1102

Here are some basic information for contact problems... - Ramp you force up, especially in the beginning of the contact

• Within the Contact Pair definition, choose the stiffer part as the source!

• If the parts have a similar stiffness, set concave parts as source and convex parts as destination.

• The destination boundary of the contact pair must be meshed finer than the source boundary, by at least a factor of two!

• try the penalty method, if you have convergence problems (augmented Lagrangian method is more accurate, but has higher computational cost, and will require more fine-tuning to converge.)

BR

Hi, maybe you can give some more information about your problem. Best would be a simple example. However, there is some nice information online. https://www.comsol.fi/support/knowledgebase/1102 Here are some basic information for contact problems... - Ramp you force up, especially in the beginning of the contact - Within the Contact Pair definition, choose the stiffer part as the source! - If the parts have a similar stiffness, set concave parts as source and convex parts as destination. - The destination boundary of the contact pair must be meshed finer than the source boundary, by at least a factor of two! - try the penalty method, if you have convergence problems (augmented Lagrangian method is more accurate, but has higher computational cost, and will require more fine-tuning to converge.) BR

Thanigaivelraja Mohandass

Posted: 3 years ago 14 lug 2021, 02:28 GMT-4

Thanks soren . Very much Thank you. I am getting a reply for my doubt, because i have waited for more than 5 months for a reply. I am very much excited to see a reply. Thanks again .

i am designing a contact shaped structure as in relays, designed as lookalike the shape of the contacts in relay. i want to apply force or load on the movable part of the contacts which has to move and touch the stiffer part contact . 1. want to measure the pressure applied by the movable part to the fixed part contact surface 2. Want to measure the intendation of depth to the fixed part of contact surface made by the load or force over the movable part 3. Want to measure the temperature 4. want to know how to apply current or voltage as source to the contact and to measure the heat, current or voltage over the surface of the contact 5. want to measure the displacement made by the applied force or load , similarly the deformation of the contact if any I would be very grateful to you if you give any ideas or procedures to implement these and to find these parameters. Hoping to get a positive reply from you. Thanks in advance. with regards M.Thanigaivelraja

Thanks soren . Very much Thank you. I am getting a reply for my doubt, because i have waited for more than 5 months for a reply. I am very much excited to see a reply. Thanks again . i am designing a contact shaped structure as in relays, designed as lookalike the shape of the contacts in relay. i want to apply force or load on the movable part of the contacts which has to move and touch the stiffer part contact . 1. want to measure the pressure applied by the movable part to the fixed part contact surface 2. Want to measure the intendation of depth to the fixed part of contact surface made by the load or force over the movable part 3. Want to measure the temperature 4. want to know how to apply current or voltage as source to the contact and to measure the heat, current or voltage over the surface of the contact 5. want to measure the displacement made by the applied force or load , similarly the deformation of the contact if any I would be very grateful to you if you give any ideas or procedures to implement these and to find these parameters. Hoping to get a positive reply from you. Thanks in advance. with regards M.Thanigaivelraja

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.