Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to model a silicone rubber?

Praveen Kumar Pakkirisamy

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Today is my first day using COMSOL and I want to do static analysis with a Silicone rubber. Static analysis for rigid objects are quite straight forward and I can find some video lectures on it. However, I cannot quite understand how to do that for Silicone rubber as I do not understand how to model a Silicone rubber in the first place.

As far as I can understand, I have to model them using hyper elastic material models but I am not sure which one to choose and value of the parameters in the model.

From the Silicone rubber data sheet this is what I have. Hardness Shore A - 28 Tensile strength - 6.5 N/mm² Elongation at break - 700 % Linear shrinkage - < 0.1 % Tear strength - > 30 N/mm

I am wondering if hyper elastic model is the only way to go or are there some other simpler methodologies. It would be great if someone could point me the way to proceed.

Thanks in advance, Cheers!

1 Reply Last Post 4 ago 2021, 22:19 GMT-4
Dave Greve Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 3 years ago 4 ago 2021, 22:19 GMT-4

For materials with a Poisson ratio near 0.5 (like rubber) select Linear Elastic Material > Use mixed formulation > Pressure formulation.

You will have to research whether your particular material needs to be modeled as hyperelastic. And what material parameters need to be entered in Comsol.

For materials with a Poisson ratio near 0.5 (like rubber) select Linear Elastic Material > Use mixed formulation > Pressure formulation. You will have to research whether your particular material needs to be modeled as hyperelastic. And what material parameters need to be entered in Comsol.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.