Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Plotting only part of a domain

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I'm doing a 2D simulation with a fairly complex geometry. Afterwards I want to both plot some results and do a surface integral on part of a domain; more specifically a rectangle within a complex looking domain. Is that possible? I have COMSOL version 5.6.

Dividing the domain before doing the simulation would decrease my mesh quality, and I therefore would like to avoid that solution.

1 Reply Last Post 29 set 2021, 17:26 GMT-4
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 3 years ago 29 set 2021, 17:26 GMT-4
Updated: 3 years ago 29 set 2021, 17:27 GMT-4

Hello Anna,

One approach -and there may be better ones- consists in doing the following:

1. Solve the problem without the rectangle being present. You have done this already, I believe.
  2. Add the rectangle to the geometry
  3. Use the "Update solution" option in the Study Node
  4. Duplicate the original dataset, and add a Selection subnode to the resulting dataset, selecting only the rectangle
  5. Create a plot based on this new dataset.

I have illustrated this approach in the attached file, which is based on a toy model I created in another Discussion Forum thread today (in case you're curious: here ).

Best,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hello Anna, One approach -and there may be better ones- consists in doing the following: 1. Solve the problem without the rectangle being present. You have done this already, I believe. 2. Add the rectangle to the geometry 3. Use the "Update solution" option in the Study Node 4. Duplicate the original dataset, and add a Selection subnode to the resulting dataset, selecting only the rectangle 5. Create a plot based on this new dataset. I have illustrated this approach in the attached file, which is based on a toy model I created in another Discussion Forum thread today (in case you're curious: [here](https://www.comsol.com/forum/thread/297452/selection-of-interior-boundaries?last=2021-09-29T18:52:34Z) ). Best, Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.