Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Inverse heat transfer problem

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I need to determine the surface temperature by doing an inverse heat transfer problem method.

Experiments are done with impingement of a hot steel plate(900°C) with 3 thermocouples located at 1mm below the surface. The data is measured at a rate of 150Hz. This gives a nice temperature/time dependence at these locations.

Is is possible in COMSOL4.2a to load these data sets from the thermocouples into COMSOL to perform a inverse heat transfer problem to calculate surface temperatures/heat fluxes?

Regards

5 Replies Last Post 3 feb 2015, 01:13 GMT-5
Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 25 giu 2012, 18:14 GMT-4
What are the unknowns in the heat transfer model that you want to calculate as the inverse problem?
What are the unknowns in the heat transfer model that you want to calculate as the inverse problem?

Posted: 1 decade ago 25 giu 2012, 18:27 GMT-4

The temperature and the heatflux at the surface. And the program should use datasets from the thermocouples.
[QUOTE] What are the unknowns in the heat transfer model that you want to calculate as the inverse problem? [/QUOTE] The temperature and the heatflux at the surface. And the program should use datasets from the thermocouples.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 26 giu 2012, 01:59 GMT-4
Hi

yes you can drive the input power flux (as an average value, not a distributed field though) by making an error function from the difference of the sum_over_"i"_of(T_measured_i_ - T_at_sensor_i)^2 and define it in a weak expression node

back in 3.5 I believe there was a thermal example in the model library using one side to drive the inlet on the other, but I cant find it back in my 4.3

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi yes you can drive the input power flux (as an average value, not a distributed field though) by making an error function from the difference of the sum_over_"i"_of(T_measured_i_ - T_at_sensor_i)^2 and define it in a weak expression node back in 3.5 I believe there was a thermal example in the model library using one side to drive the inlet on the other, but I cant find it back in my 4.3 -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 28 feb 2013, 05:41 GMT-5
Hello!!
Question for Ruben Brink?
I have exactly the same problem as you!
question:
Whether we can exchange e-mail?
Sefik Behrem
Hello!! Question for Ruben Brink? I have exactly the same problem as you! question: Whether we can exchange e-mail? Sefik Behrem

Posted: 9 years ago 3 feb 2015, 01:13 GMT-5
I am having the same problem. Can you share your email id so that we can have a personalised talk regarding the same. My email id is sanchitsingal84@gmail.com

Regards
Sanchit Singal
IIT Kharagpur, India
I am having the same problem. Can you share your email id so that we can have a personalised talk regarding the same. My email id is sanchitsingal84@gmail.com Regards Sanchit Singal IIT Kharagpur, India

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.