Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Mass balance problem with "mixture model"

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

i am trying to model nanoparticles in a fluid flow, for the beginning in simple water. Therefore i like to use the mixture model, so i have a dispersed phase (nanoparticles) and a continous phase (water). My model is a quite simple straight tube.

After running the simulation i saw that the volume fraction of the dispersed phase drops to negative numbers in wall regions, however i fixed it with a lower limit in the segregated solver setting.

So after that i checked the mass balance (see derived values). For the continous phase its all fine but for the dispersed phase there are 6% more mass going out than in. I nearly tried everything, mesh studies, tolerance studies of the solver, weak constraints... i couldnt fix the error to an acceptable value.

Maybe the reason is that the volume fraction of the dispersed phase is in maximum regions of magnitude 1e-3.

My file is attached.

I would be so happy if anyone could solve this problem or help.

Best regards Manuel

0 Replies Last Post 10 gen 2022, 06:22 GMT-5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Manuel Wolfschwenger

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.