Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

The difference between Poroacoustics and Poroelastics

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have to simulate the sound transmission of the foam which statch on the earphone, but I noticed that COMSOL has two poro-material node, one is the poroacoustics and poroelastics. I wondering that if I have to consider the compressed foam which represented that the earphone clamp on human's head, which node should I choose?

2 Replies Last Post 13 feb 2022, 21:37 GMT-5
Acculution ApS Certified Consultant

Posted: 2 years ago 11 feb 2022, 04:05 GMT-5

It depends on what you are trying to achieve. If all you are interested in is the acoustics, the poroacoustics could probably suffice, if you can fit the values to the compressed state of the foam. If the mechanical properties of the foam influence the output that you are looking for, then you might need more complex models that include the elasticity of the foam.

-------------------
René Christensen, PhD
Acculution ApS
www.acculution.com
info@acculution.com
It depends on what you are trying to achieve. If all you are interested in is the acoustics, the poroacoustics could probably suffice, if you can fit the values to the compressed state of the foam. If the mechanical properties of the foam influence the output that you are looking for, then you might need more complex models that include the elasticity of the foam.

Posted: 2 years ago 13 feb 2022, 21:37 GMT-5

Thank you very much, you helped me a lot.

>It depends on what you are trying to achieve. If all you are interested in is the acoustics, the poroacoustics could probably suffice, if you can fit the values to the compressed state of the foam. If the mechanical properties of the foam influence the output that you are looking for, then you might need more complex models that include the elasticity of the foam. Thank you very much, you helped me a lot.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.