Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How do i apply Ground in "Magnetic Fields (mf)" physics package?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello together, I want to simulate a coil system in Comsol. I used the "Magnetic and Electric Fields (mef)" physics package and could easily apply a ground boundary there (frequency domain). Now I want to solve the system in time domain, which is only possible in the "Magnetic Fields" physics, but I can't find a ground boundary there. How can I apply it?

3 Replies Last Post 28 mar 2022, 09:29 GMT-4
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 2 years ago 25 mar 2022, 07:12 GMT-4

Hendrik,

in mf you cannot apply an electric potential boundary condition, so ground is not an option.

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Hendrik, in mf you cannot apply an electric potential boundary condition, so ground is not an option. Cheers Edgar

Posted: 2 years ago 28 mar 2022, 08:52 GMT-4

Hi Edgar,

thank you for the reply. Alright.

I simply want to simulate a piece of conductor with 2 coils around it. I can easily define a current through the coils via the option "coil", but I also want to define a current through the piece of conductor. In the mef-package I could do it with a terminal on one side and ground on the other. Do you know how I can apply a current in the piece of conductor in the mf package?

Thank you and kind regards, Hendrik

Hi Edgar, thank you for the reply. Alright. I simply want to simulate a piece of conductor with 2 coils around it. I can easily define a current through the coils via the option "coil", but I also want to define a current through the piece of conductor. In the mef-package I could do it with a terminal on one side and ground on the other. Do you know how I can apply a current in the piece of conductor in the mf package? Thank you and kind regards, Hendrik

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 2 years ago 28 mar 2022, 09:29 GMT-4

Hendrik,

you can use the piece of metal as a coil as well. A coil in Comsol doesn't need to look like a typical helical coil. Also it doesn't need to be a closed loop if you guide the terminal ends to an outside boundary of the model. Check the documentation about the requirements for coils.

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Hendrik, you can use the piece of metal as a coil as well. A coil in Comsol doesn't need to look like a typical helical coil. Also it doesn't need to be a closed loop if you guide the terminal ends to an outside boundary of the model. Check the documentation about the requirements for coils. Cheers Edgar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.