Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Help with generating emissivity plots for thin metal foils under the infrared spectrum

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

When trying to generate emissivity plots of thin metal films (e.g., silver), I get oscillations with peaks below 0 emissivity (as shown in the attached image). From what I have seen in the literature, there should not be any oscillations and instead have an almost linear curve at around 0.004 emissivity.

I am using the RF module (Electromagnetic waves, frequency domain (emw)), floquet boundary conditions, and a scattering boundary condition at the top of a PML layer of air. I have also attached the COMSOL file.

Any advice/comments to why these oscillations are occuring would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

1 Reply Last Post 20 apr 2022, 07:55 GMT-4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 2 years ago 20 apr 2022, 07:55 GMT-4

Are you perhaps plotting the real part of something instaed of its magnitude?

Are you perhaps plotting the real part of something instaed of its magnitude?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.