Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Strain reference Temperature

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi
I am using transient themal stress analysis (ts) to solve a 3D problem in Comsol 4.2. My understading is that in order to compute the thermal stresses inside the material geometry, the ts model must require strain refrence temperature as input. The Strain Reference Tempertaure model input parameter under Thermal Linear Elastic 1 node, however is grayed out in 3D model. It is active only for 1D and 2D cases. I could possibly be missing something. Will greatly appreciate if someone could throw some light on to this issue.

With many Thanks,
R.K.

PS: Regardlesss of this input, the COMSOL is able to solve the problem and generate the temerature and stress distributions.

1 Reply Last Post 13 ago 2012, 02:31 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 13 ago 2012, 02:31 GMT-4
Hi

in my V4.3 its not greyed, apart for Thermal Linear Viscoelastic Material node, for which you need to first "turn on" the Thermal expansion by a tick mark

Could it be that you have several "T" dependent variables from other physics and COMSOl has choosen anothe T as the driving value ??

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi in my V4.3 its not greyed, apart for Thermal Linear Viscoelastic Material node, for which you need to first "turn on" the Thermal expansion by a tick mark Could it be that you have several "T" dependent variables from other physics and COMSOl has choosen anothe T as the driving value ?? -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.