Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Can I simulate CFD without purchasing CFD module?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello! I am new to Comsol and currently trying to simulate CFD with Comsol 6.0. More precisely, I need to set up the main tube which has 2 side tubes (one carries oxygen and another does nitrogen) and find a distribution for each substance. To clarify what I'm talking about, I've attached the image of the simualtion that I need to set. Although, I do not have CFD module since my university wants me to try to simulate without buying any module if possible. Therefore, I wanted to know if I can possibly to simulate only with what I have or have to purchase other modules such as CFD or Porous Media Flow module. Also, if I can simulate with what I have now, I'd like to know how. I have also attached the Physics that I have now to show which option I can use. Thank you!

2 Replies Last Post 22 giu 2022, 16:49 GMT-4
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 2 years ago 22 giu 2022, 16:05 GMT-4
Updated: 2 years ago 22 giu 2022, 16:22 GMT-4

Hello Kiryu,

This may not be the only factor to consider, but do you expect the flow to be turbulent? It seems plausible from your sketch. If so, you will need either the CFD Module or the Heat Transfer Module. Turbulence is not something you can realistically hope to implement on your own. The CFD Module includes more turbulence models than the Heat Transfer Module, and of course they also each have their own unique features, see the Specification Chart for a list of capabilities in each of those modules and read this blog post for a discussion of when each turbulence model applies.

Best,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hello Kiryu, This may not be the only factor to consider, but do you expect the flow to be turbulent? It seems plausible from your sketch. If so, you will need either the CFD Module or the Heat Transfer Module. Turbulence is not something you can realistically hope to implement on your own. The CFD Module includes more turbulence models than the Heat Transfer Module, and of course they also each have their own unique features, see [the Specification Chart](https://www.comsol.com/products/specifications/) for a list of capabilities in each of those modules and read [this blog post](https://www.comsol.com/blogs/which-turbulence-model-should-choose-cfd-application/) for a discussion of when each turbulence model applies. Best, Jeff

Posted: 2 years ago 22 giu 2022, 16:49 GMT-4

Hello Jeff,

Thank you for your replying. I expect the flow to be laminar since velocity would be very small. Even in that case, my guess is that I have to purchase Porous Media Module to simulate multiple chemical substances and find each concentration. Do you think there is any way that I can do those procedures without buying new modules?

Thank you, Kiryu Sakamoto

Hello Jeff, Thank you for your replying. I expect the flow to be laminar since velocity would be very small. Even in that case, my guess is that I have to purchase Porous Media Module to simulate multiple chemical substances and find each concentration. Do you think there is any way that I can do those procedures without buying new modules? Thank you, Kiryu Sakamoto

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.