Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Plastic strain and initial strain state

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Good day, This model involves two structural mechanics physics interfaces with stationary solutions. I can pass the strain state from the first physics as an initial strain setting using variables such as solid.eX, solid.eXY...solid.eZ. Because the first physics produces both elastic and plastic strains I curious what is required to ensure both are transferred. Can these same variables be used or do they need to be augmented. For example should solid.eX be replaced by solid.eX+solid.epX.

I'd appreciate any insight you may have.
Marty

2 Replies Last Post 25 apr 2015, 08:30 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 29 ago 2012, 10:51 GMT-4
Good Day, Henrik at customer support for COMSOL provided the following clarification:

"As to your second question: Which strain to use as initial strain would in
general depend on application. The expression strain.eX+strain.epX is
however suspect, since strain.eX is the total strain, which already
contains the plastic strain.

Regards,
Henrik"

Many thanks COMSOL support!
Good Day, Henrik at customer support for COMSOL provided the following clarification: "As to your second question: Which strain to use as initial strain would in general depend on application. The expression strain.eX+strain.epX is however suspect, since strain.eX is the total strain, which already contains the plastic strain. Regards, Henrik" Many thanks COMSOL support!

Posted: 9 years ago 25 apr 2015, 08:30 GMT-4
Hi, im currently doing a simulation to calculate the strain of 2D and 3D model... i am confused with the term solid.eX, solid.eY.. as i know,eX, eY, and eZ are the normal element... it is means that it only can be used if i aplly normal load? so..for 2D and 3D model...which operator will give me total strain, if i wanted to apply Fx,Fy and Fz.. thanxs
Hi, im currently doing a simulation to calculate the strain of 2D and 3D model... i am confused with the term solid.eX, solid.eY.. as i know,eX, eY, and eZ are the normal element... it is means that it only can be used if i aplly normal load? so..for 2D and 3D model...which operator will give me total strain, if i wanted to apply Fx,Fy and Fz.. thanxs

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.