Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Electric field gradient

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello!

I try to obtain the gradient of electric field, but I fail to enter the right formula. Can sombody help me with the formula for the gradient of electric field?

I'm using COMSOL version 6

Thanks!

1 Reply Last Post 18 ott 2022, 23:58 GMT-4
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 2 years ago 18 ott 2022, 23:58 GMT-4
  1. Hmm. Interestingly, this question was asked 12 years ago on this same forum, using the exact same words in exactly the same word order, but was apparently posted by a different person (named "Ostahie Narcis".) That's simply amazing! Anyway, for both the post and the conversation that was generated, see https://www.comsol.com/forum/thread/4711/gradient-of-electric-field.

2. Strictly speaking, the electric field is a vector quantity, so the full gradient of it is actually a tensor (since the gradient of each of the three scalar components of the field, in 3D, is a vector). So let's start there: Are you interested in the full tensor gradient of the full 3D vector electric field? If you are, you will need to compute 9 quantities. Now, if the electric field is being represented as having both real and imaginary parts (such as is normally used in frequency domain electromagnetics) then this tensor gradient will require that you compute 18 numbers. Of course, once you figure out how to compute one, you can probably compute all the others.

3. I look forward to the discussion this thread will generate.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
1. Hmm. Interestingly, this question was asked 12 years ago on this same forum, using the *exact same words in exactly the same word order*, but was apparently posted by a different person (named "Ostahie Narcis".) That's simply amazing! Anyway, for both the post and the conversation that was generated, see https://www.comsol.com/forum/thread/4711/gradient-of-electric-field. 2. Strictly speaking, the electric field is a *vector* quantity, so the full gradient of it is actually a *tensor* (since the gradient of *each* of the three scalar components of the field, in 3D, is a vector). So let's start there: Are you interested in the full tensor gradient of the full 3D vector electric field? If you are, you will need to compute 9 quantities. Now, if the electric field is being represented as having both real and imaginary parts (such as is normally used in frequency domain electromagnetics) then this tensor gradient will require that you compute 18 numbers. Of course, once you figure out how to compute one, you can probably compute all the others. 3. I look forward to the discussion this thread will generate.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.