Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

HEAT TRANSFER IN A BITUMEN TANKER

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, I am a new Comsol modeler and I am trying to model a steel tanker filled with molten bitumen. The tanker is insulated and the bitumen is heated by two propane burners ( in form of U) located at the bottom. For the bitumen I have Non-isothermal Flow-Laminar , for the propane I guess Non-isothermal Flow (flow in a pipe) and also I have Heat transfer in solids for all solid structure and convection to the exterior.

I have tried many times to do my model and always I have some kind of message error.
Someone could give some directions to do this model. I am using Comsol 4.2a.

Thanks

3 Replies Last Post 25 feb 2013, 12:03 GMT-5
Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 28 set 2012, 11:47 GMT-4
Hi Misael,

Why are you explicitly modeling the propane? Why not just account for it as a distributed heat source. I suggest you start by going through one of the natural convection examples in the COMSOL Model Gallery such as this one: www.comsol.com/showroom/gallery/1448/.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
Hi Misael, Why are you explicitly modeling the propane? Why not just account for it as a distributed heat source. I suggest you start by going through one of the natural convection examples in the COMSOL Model Gallery such as this one: http://www.comsol.com/showroom/gallery/1448/. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 1 decade ago 25 feb 2013, 12:03 GMT-5
I need to simulate the propane because my but is to analyze the different configuration of the heaters and their impact in the temperature profils,specifically , the risk of reaching ignition conditions.So there is one more problem , above the bitumen surface there is air (+bitumen gases) , and the temperature of the gaseus phase is critical to evaluate the risk of ignition.

I saw problems more complicated that this in Comsol , but...I cant do it !!
I need to simulate the propane because my but is to analyze the different configuration of the heaters and their impact in the temperature profils,specifically , the risk of reaching ignition conditions.So there is one more problem , above the bitumen surface there is air (+bitumen gases) , and the temperature of the gaseus phase is critical to evaluate the risk of ignition. I saw problems more complicated that this in Comsol , but...I cant do it !!

Posted: 1 decade ago 25 feb 2013, 12:03 GMT-5
I need to simulate the propane because my but is to analyze the different configuration of the heaters and their impact in the temperature profils,specifically , the risk of reaching ignition conditions.So there is one more problem , above the bitumen surface there is air (+bitumen gases) , and the temperature of the gaseus phase is critical to evaluate the risk of ignition.

I saw problems more complicated that this in Comsol , but...I cant do it !!
I need to simulate the propane because my but is to analyze the different configuration of the heaters and their impact in the temperature profils,specifically , the risk of reaching ignition conditions.So there is one more problem , above the bitumen surface there is air (+bitumen gases) , and the temperature of the gaseus phase is critical to evaluate the risk of ignition. I saw problems more complicated that this in Comsol , but...I cant do it !!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.