Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Coupled, driven, spring-mass system

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I would like to model a coupled, driven, spring-mass system using Solid Mechanics in 2D. With two masses and one spring. Each mass has a different value. The first mass (m1) is to be driven sinusoidally. I plan to calculate the displacement as a function of time of the second mass (m2) as the result of this m1 being driven.

I have success in driving m1 with some sinusoidal motion. Also, connecting the spring using the spring-damper node also works.

This is where things go wrong. When m2>>m1, m2 is still displaced by the same amount as when m1>>m2. Why is this? Intuitively, I expect the m2 to barely be displaced if m1 and the driving force is comparatively small.

Thank you very much in advance!

Best regards, Andrew Hutcheson

1 Reply Last Post 13 mar 2023, 05:14 GMT-4
Acculution ApS Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 year ago 13 mar 2023, 05:14 GMT-4

I had a brief look at this. I think you should try changing the time signal to a real signal, as sin(wt). You can also try more time steps, and then force these time steps to be followed (it is a settings somewhere down in the study nodes).

-------------------
René Christensen, PhD
Acculution ApS
www.acculution.com
info@acculution.com
I had a brief look at this. I think you should try changing the time signal to a real signal, as sin(wt). You can also try more time steps, and then force these time steps to be followed (it is a settings somewhere down in the study nodes).

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.