Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Structure with 2D and a 1D truss...

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello all,

I am trying to implement this (see attachment).

I guess it should be relatively easy, and for sure lots of people know how to do it :).

After "spending" quite a lot of time, I decide to share my problem with you. I hope you can help me with that.

I guess the "problem" is with a boundary condition, or with the definition of a Pair there...

Thanks a lot in advance

11 Replies Last Post 22 gen 2013, 07:51 GMT-5
Frank van Gool COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 30 nov 2012, 09:55 GMT-5
Dear Adrián,

You can couple these two physics in a simple way by making sure that the truss and the solid physics both use the same dependent variable. This way they are coupled.

An other option would be to set a prescribed displacement and use the u and v from the other physics if you do not want them to have the same dependent variables.

Regards,
Dear Adrián, You can couple these two physics in a simple way by making sure that the truss and the solid physics both use the same dependent variable. This way they are coupled. An other option would be to set a prescribed displacement and use the u and v from the other physics if you do not want them to have the same dependent variables. Regards,

Posted: 1 decade ago 30 nov 2012, 10:00 GMT-5
Thanks a lot!,

I will try it next week :)
Thanks a lot!, I will try it next week :)

Posted: 1 decade ago 4 dic 2012, 08:29 GMT-5
Hi guys,

I just tried that thing with an extremely simple structure (one truss and a bi-dimensional "L", and it seems to work.

See attachments:

I used "Pinned" at the left point of the truss, and a prescribed displacement at the right, and it seems to work well (please, confirm it ;-) )

Now, the real thing I want to apply is not working, but I guess I am really close.

In my real case, that "prescribed displacement" must come from another model.

I have a variable called "up" that is calculated in the PDE. It is one of its solutions. Now I want to use that "up", because that value is the actual displacement that the truss makes on the structure :).

I attach also something called "GoodL.png". You will understand the problem there. What I did to use my variable "up" from the solution of the PDE on model 1, was just to define, in model 2 (the 2D structure) that my prescribed displacement is "mod1.up". I would say this is the way to do it.

I hope you can understand the problem and you can help me again.

Thanks a lot in advance for any help you can give me!

edit: could it has something to do with that I am putting everything together in the same Study and in the same Time Dependent Solver?

I also must add that the solution of the PDE comes from Time Dependent solver. So... I actually need to apply a time dependent variable as an input to my second simulation (i.e. a profile of displacement vs. time)
Hi guys, I just tried that thing with an extremely simple structure (one truss and a bi-dimensional "L", and it seems to work. See attachments: I used "Pinned" at the left point of the truss, and a prescribed displacement at the right, and it seems to work well (please, confirm it ;-) ) Now, the real thing I want to apply is not working, but I guess I am really close. In my real case, that "prescribed displacement" must come from another model. I have a variable called "up" that is calculated in the PDE. It is one of its solutions. Now I want to use that "up", because that value is the actual displacement that the truss makes on the structure :). I attach also something called "GoodL.png". You will understand the problem there. What I did to use my variable "up" from the solution of the PDE on model 1, was just to define, in model 2 (the 2D structure) that my prescribed displacement is "mod1.up". I would say this is the way to do it. I hope you can understand the problem and you can help me again. Thanks a lot in advance for any help you can give me! edit: could it has something to do with that I am putting everything together in the same Study and in the same Time Dependent Solver? I also must add that the solution of the PDE comes from Time Dependent solver. So... I actually need to apply a time dependent variable as an input to my second simulation (i.e. a profile of displacement vs. time)

Posted: 1 decade ago 7 dic 2012, 03:54 GMT-5
Dear Adrián,

the problem is not completely clear to me, you mean that mod1.up is not used in the displacement?
Please try to use g.up, g is from the pde form. As this is in the same model, mod1 is not needed if I am correct.
If that is not successful, you might want to upload the model.

Best regards,
Frank
Dear Adrián, the problem is not completely clear to me, you mean that mod1.up is not used in the displacement? Please try to use g.up, g is from the pde form. As this is in the same model, mod1 is not needed if I am correct. If that is not successful, you might want to upload the model. Best regards, Frank

Posted: 1 decade ago 7 dic 2012, 04:45 GMT-5
Hi, thanks for the reply.

It does not work.

Where you see truss -> Prescribed displacement is where I should use the displacement that I get from the PDE, "up"

If I write "g.up, or mod1.g.up" in the model2, (see other attachment), whatever I write there appears in orange and it says "unknown variable..."

Could it maybe have something to do with that I have only one study?

Thanks
Hi, thanks for the reply. It does not work. Where you see truss -> Prescribed displacement is where I should use the displacement that I get from the PDE, "up" If I write "g.up, or mod1.g.up" in the model2, (see other attachment), whatever I write there appears in orange and it says "unknown variable..." Could it maybe have something to do with that I have only one study? Thanks

Posted: 1 decade ago 7 dic 2012, 05:27 GMT-5
Dear Adrián,

probably your mod1.up is known over the domain (line in model1), therefore comsol doesn't know which value to take for your prescribed displacement.
So if you create a model coupling, eg. a maximum operator over your domains in model 1 and then call for "mod1.maxop1(up)" in model 2. That should do something.

Best regards,
Frank
Dear Adrián, probably your mod1.up is known over the domain (line in model1), therefore comsol doesn't know which value to take for your prescribed displacement. So if you create a model coupling, eg. a maximum operator over your domains in model 1 and then call for "mod1.maxop1(up)" in model 2. That should do something. Best regards, Frank

Posted: 1 decade ago 10 dic 2012, 10:23 GMT-5
This does not work... :(, I will keep on trying something.

Thanks a lot for all your replies, were VERY useful!
This does not work... :(, I will keep on trying something. Thanks a lot for all your replies, were VERY useful!

Posted: 1 decade ago 11 dic 2012, 10:06 GMT-5
Another question, please. How can I define a contact between the truss and the 2D structure?

I can define the contact on Definitions, but when I open a "contact" in the Solid Physics, it says the part of the contact that corresponds to the truss appears as "not applicable".

Do you know something about that?

thanks
Another question, please. How can I define a contact between the truss and the 2D structure? I can define the contact on Definitions, but when I open a "contact" in the Solid Physics, it says the part of the contact that corresponds to the truss appears as "not applicable". Do you know something about that? thanks

Posted: 1 decade ago 22 gen 2013, 04:04 GMT-5
Does anyone has an idea about this of the contact?? (last post)

Thanks a lot!
Does anyone has an idea about this of the contact?? (last post) Thanks a lot!

Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 22 gen 2013, 07:50 GMT-5
Hi,

Contact analysis in COMSOL is currently only implemented between solid boundaries.

You could try implementing something approximate by yourself. You could for example use forces with a very strong nonlinear dependence on the distance between the objects. Such a formulation will inevitably introduce some over-closure between the objects, as well as unphysical forces before they go into contact. With properly chosen values, the solution will still probably be within acceptable engineering accuracy.

Regards,
Henrik
Hi, Contact analysis in COMSOL is currently only implemented between solid boundaries. You could try implementing something approximate by yourself. You could for example use forces with a very strong nonlinear dependence on the distance between the objects. Such a formulation will inevitably introduce some over-closure between the objects, as well as unphysical forces before they go into contact. With properly chosen values, the solution will still probably be within acceptable engineering accuracy. Regards, Henrik

Posted: 1 decade ago 22 gen 2013, 07:51 GMT-5
Thanks a lot, I will work on that. In case of problems I will post here again,
Thanks!
Thanks a lot, I will work on that. In case of problems I will post here again, Thanks!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.