Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Rectangular Pulse Train Creation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am attempting to create a pulse train for my model. I am new to introducing pulses and would like an equation to place on my electrcial potential module to create the following:

Rectangular wave: a) On for 0.1 sec at a voltage (VD), on a 1 second duty cycle (so on for 10% of a cycle)
b) repeating 10 times

Where; VD is my voltage applied.

Thanks for any help you can provide; I know how to create a single rectangle pulse and set voltage paramaters etc.

Regards,
Mike

4 Replies Last Post 10 ott 2016, 20:03 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 20 dic 2012, 02:12 GMT-5
Hi

Check the Forum, it has been discussed several times ;) you can obtain such "pulses" by combining the step or rect with an analytical function, you have also the advance make periodic options tab to play with

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Check the Forum, it has been discussed several times ;) you can obtain such "pulses" by combining the step or rect with an analytical function, you have also the advance make periodic options tab to play with -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 8 years ago 9 ott 2016, 12:01 GMT-4
Hi,

I went through the posts in www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/2924
where pulse train has been discussed in good detail. Thank you.

However,

In using COMSOL Analytic function with mod(t, value)
where value is less than 0.05 I am getting a straight horizontal line as output.

My pulse width (On time) is in micro seconds and would like to get 100 microsecond pulse width for 200 ms period.

Is it not possible to use mod function in this case ?

PS: I am unable to find "reply" option in the previous discussion thread,

Thanks,
Hi, I went through the posts in https://www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/2924 where pulse train has been discussed in good detail. Thank you. However, In using COMSOL Analytic function with mod(t, value) where value is less than 0.05 I am getting a straight horizontal line as output. My pulse width (On time) is in micro seconds and would like to get 100 microsecond pulse width for 200 ms period. Is it not possible to use mod function in this case ? PS: I am unable to find "reply" option in the previous discussion thread, Thanks,

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago 10 ott 2016, 08:12 GMT-4
Hello AJ,
Using mod is not recommended. Instead, see my post in this thread:
www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/103901/
Best regards,
Jeff
Hello AJ, Using mod is not recommended. Instead, see my post in this thread: https://www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/103901/ Best regards, Jeff

Posted: 8 years ago 10 ott 2016, 20:03 GMT-4
Hello Jeff ,

I am unable to give a On time (pulse width) of 100 microseconds.

I see only options of angular frequency and smoothing can be changed.

How do I change the pulse width (on time) ?
I am using rect() . it does not accept microsecond range. It gives a straight line. for values less than 0.0055

with 100 microsecond pulse and getting 100 pulses for a seconds seems to be not working when I try to plot by Jeff's method.

Is it a graphical limitation ?

I can get only upto 13 pulses in a second. not more than that
Hello Jeff , I am unable to give a On time (pulse width) of 100 microseconds. I see only options of angular frequency and smoothing can be changed. How do I change the pulse width (on time) ? I am using rect() . it does not accept microsecond range. It gives a straight line. for values less than 0.0055 with 100 microsecond pulse and getting 100 pulses for a seconds seems to be not working when I try to plot by Jeff's method. Is it a graphical limitation ? I can get only upto 13 pulses in a second. not more than that

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.