Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Local derivatives on an edge

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello Community,

I'm building a 3D model in which edges are randomly oriented. On these edges I'm trying to implement a weak formulation of a pde but I can't figure out how to compute the derivatives in the local coordinate system.
I tried to have a look at the beam physics model and there a derivative orthogonal to the edge is computed by the following expression: "mod1.umod1.vmod1.wts". But even with this information I wasn't able to get the derivatives. I'm really desperate to get the answer because I have been working on this problem for a long time now.

Thanks for your help.

kind regards

Jan Kaul

2 Replies Last Post 15 gen 2013, 13:31 GMT-5
Sergei Yushanov Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago 14 gen 2013, 10:32 GMT-5
Jan,

For field dependent variable u, the tangential derivative along the edge in the x-direction can be calculated as uTx.

For example, gradient along the edge of the field variable u is
grad(u)={uTx, uTy, uTz}

If you are using weak contribution, then gradient of the test function is:
grad(test(u))={test(uTx), test(uTy), test(uTz)}

Also, you can use dtang() operator to compute derivatives in the tangential direction:
grad(u)={dtang(u,x), dtang(u,y), dtang(u,z)}

Regards,
Sergei
Jan, For field dependent variable u, the tangential derivative along the edge in the x-direction can be calculated as uTx. For example, gradient along the edge of the field variable u is grad(u)={uTx, uTy, uTz} If you are using weak contribution, then gradient of the test function is: grad(test(u))={test(uTx), test(uTy), test(uTz)} Also, you can use dtang() operator to compute derivatives in the tangential direction: grad(u)={dtang(u,x), dtang(u,y), dtang(u,z)} Regards, Sergei

Posted: 1 decade ago 15 gen 2013, 13:31 GMT-5
Thank you for your reply.

The dtang Operator should solve my problem but in my 3D model comsol doesn't seem to be able to evaluate dtang on an edge.

regards

Jan Kaul
Thank you for your reply. The dtang Operator should solve my problem but in my 3D model comsol doesn't seem to be able to evaluate dtang on an edge. regards Jan Kaul

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.