How to parameter sweep across multiple studies

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello! I am currently trying to simulate some acoustic streaming interactions on COMSOL 6.2 using the new acoustics module. Having loosely followed one of the example files, I first created a frequency dependent study (study 1) to solve for the acoustic field, and following that have a stationary study (study 2) to calculate the fluid field based off the results of study 1. I can obviously do a parameter sweep for frequency for study 1, but for study 2 I am sturggling to find a neat way to just solve the parameter sweep in one go without having to individually solve study 2 for each result of the study 1 sweep. I am likely just missing something but if someone knew a good way of doing this it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

3 Replies Last Post 5 lug 2024, 10:04 GMT-4
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 2 days ago 4 lug 2024, 08:11 GMT-4

Hi Ricky,

the way you set up the frequency sweep, with an outer parametric sweep, you can simply add the study 2 step below the frequency domain step in study 1. You will then get a parametric solution of the stationary step with the frequency parameter.

Typically, you would do a frequency scan with the frequency stepping defined in the frequency domain step and you don't need the outer parametric sweep then. But in this case your approach is probably easier.

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Hi Ricky, the way you set up the frequency sweep, with an outer parametric sweep, you can simply add the study 2 step below the frequency domain step in study 1. You will then get a parametric solution of the stationary step with the frequency parameter. Typically, you would do a frequency scan with the frequency stepping defined in the frequency domain step and you don't need the outer parametric sweep then. But in this case your approach is probably easier. Cheers Edgar

Posted: 1 day ago 5 lug 2024, 09:12 GMT-4

Hi Edgar,

Thanks for the response. That definitely makes sense and seems to be solving as intended now in terms of getting stationary results for each frequency, but I am getting some very weird results that are different to when I solved them in two separate studies. I am unsure if this is due to it solving the physics differently/wrong but it is definitely different to the results I get when solving in separate studies (which agree much more with literature). I have attached the streamline plots underneath. As far as I can tell the study step itself is identical to the one I used when they were separate studies so I'm a bit lost as to why there is such a big change. Thansk again for your help.

Cheers,

Ricky

Hi Edgar, Thanks for the response. That definitely makes sense and seems to be solving as intended now in terms of getting stationary results for each frequency, but I am getting some very weird results that are different to when I solved them in two separate studies. I am unsure if this is due to it solving the physics differently/wrong but it is definitely different to the results I get when solving in separate studies (which agree much more with literature). I have attached the streamline plots underneath. As far as I can tell the study step itself is identical to the one I used when they were separate studies so I'm a bit lost as to why there is such a big change. Thansk again for your help. Cheers, Ricky

Posted: 1 day ago 5 lug 2024, 10:04 GMT-4

Weirdly enough I just restarted a new study to see if there was some hidden setting I'd accidentally changed somewhere in the old version everything seems to be working now which is a bit weird but I'll take it. Thanks for the support!

Cheers,

Ricky

Weirdly enough I just restarted a new study to see if there was some hidden setting I'd accidentally changed somewhere in the old version everything seems to be working now which is a bit weird but I'll take it. Thanks for the support! Cheers, Ricky

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.