How to use stress and displacement results from 1st stationary simulation as initial conditions for 2nd eigenfrequency simulation in COMSOL?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear All,

I am trying to define the dispersion curves of a periodic unit cell in COMSOL Multiphysics with prescribed displacements. I am using two separate studies:

• Study 1: Stationary, with prescribed displacements on the four edges of the unit cell
  • Study 2: Eigenfrequency.

I intend to use the results of Study 1 as initial conditions for Study 2. I also conducted a different eigenfrequency study of the same unit cell, and the dispersion curves from Study 2 and this separate study are similar. This suggests that the results from Study 1 may not have been used as initial conditions for Study 2.

The following figures illustrate my setup. Could I be missing any setup errors?

Thank you in advance

2 Replies Last Post 16 lug 2024, 02:32 GMT-4
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 day ago 15 lug 2024, 06:24 GMT-4

It looks like you have forgotten to include geometric nonlinearity in the eigenfrequency step. That is necessary in order to get a nonzero linearization point.

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
It looks like you have forgotten to include geometric nonlinearity in the eigenfrequency step. That is necessary in order to get a nonzero linearization point.

Posted: 10 hours ago 16 lug 2024, 02:32 GMT-4

Dear Mr. Mr. Henrik Sönnerlind,

I forgot to include the geometric nonlinearity in the eigenfrequency step. Thank you so much for your valuable time and comments.

Best wishes, Binh

>It looks like you have forgotten to include geometric nonlinearity in the eigenfrequency step. That is necessary in order to get a nonzero linearization point. Dear Mr. Mr. Henrik Sönnerlind, I forgot to include the geometric nonlinearity in the eigenfrequency step. Thank you so much for your valuable time and comments. Best wishes, Binh

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.