Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Why COMSOL still requires the Young's modulus and Poisson ratio when defining an anisotropic material?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I want to play with Comsol for 3D simulations of linear elastic material. The materials are anisotropic so that I define elasticity matrices for them. But Comsol still requires me to give values for the Young's modulus and Poisson ratio (there is the little "stop" red sign in front of these properties). Why is that?

Thanks

6 Replies Last Post 13 feb 2016, 06:36 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 6 feb 2013, 15:15 GMT-5
Hi

strange, I have noticed that once you have changed the physics node to non-linear material, and that your domains are correctly set up, the demand on material properties are changed from Young Poisson, to the appropriate tensor or Lamé constants.

But you need to go down into the solid sub nodes, change and up into the material nodes to have COMSOLl to notice the change of the need

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi strange, I have noticed that once you have changed the physics node to non-linear material, and that your domains are correctly set up, the demand on material properties are changed from Young Poisson, to the appropriate tensor or Lamé constants. But you need to go down into the solid sub nodes, change and up into the material nodes to have COMSOLl to notice the change of the need -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 7 feb 2013, 03:55 GMT-5
Hi Ivar,

I am very grateful that you're always here to help people :)
Yes, it is required to specify in the physics node the way material is represented, either in terms of appropriate tensor or in terms of Young modulus and co.

Thanks
Hi Ivar, I am very grateful that you're always here to help people :) Yes, it is required to specify in the physics node the way material is represented, either in terms of appropriate tensor or in terms of Young modulus and co. Thanks

Posted: 9 years ago 29 gen 2015, 02:22 GMT-5
Hi,
I have the same problem. Can you please explain how to get rid of it?

Thanks
Hi, I have the same problem. Can you please explain how to get rid of it? Thanks

Posted: 9 years ago 1 feb 2015, 04:30 GMT-5
"But you need to go down into the solid sub nodes, change and up into the material nodes to have COMSOLl to notice the change of the need"

Can you please explain how do i do it. I am using Joule Heating module.

Thanks
"But you need to go down into the solid sub nodes, change and up into the material nodes to have COMSOLl to notice the change of the need" Can you please explain how do i do it. I am using Joule Heating module. Thanks

Magnus Ringh COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago 2 feb 2015, 02:43 GMT-5
Hi,

The material properties needed depend on the elastic or nonlinear material model that you use. For example, if you have a Linear Elastic Material node, you specify the linear elastic material in its Settings window. If you choose Isotropic from the Solid model list, you can choose how to specify it using the Specify list. The default is to specify Young's modulus and Poisson's ratio. If those properties are missing from the material in use, the Material node will have a red cross in its lower-left corner. If you, for example, instead have defined the elasticity matrix for an anisotropic material, then the red cross disappears if you select Anisotropic from the Solid model list (then the material properties defined match the material model defined in the physics). The indication in the Material node is updated immediately, so you don't need to revisit it unless you want to add some missing properties. To summarize, which material properties that are needed depends on the physics and material models that you use.

Best regards,
Magnus Ringh, COMSOL
Hi, The material properties needed depend on the elastic or nonlinear material model that you use. For example, if you have a Linear Elastic Material node, you specify the linear elastic material in its Settings window. If you choose Isotropic from the Solid model list, you can choose how to specify it using the Specify list. The default is to specify Young's modulus and Poisson's ratio. If those properties are missing from the material in use, the Material node will have a red cross in its lower-left corner. If you, for example, instead have defined the elasticity matrix for an anisotropic material, then the red cross disappears if you select Anisotropic from the Solid model list (then the material properties defined match the material model defined in the physics). The indication in the Material node is updated immediately, so you don't need to revisit it unless you want to add some missing properties. To summarize, which material properties that are needed depends on the physics and material models that you use. Best regards, Magnus Ringh, COMSOL

Posted: 8 years ago 13 feb 2016, 06:36 GMT-5
Hi everyone.

Can anyone please elaborate the reason to get a notification that the solution is not converged? What is convergence tolerance related to? geometry or what else.

Regards,

Waqas.
Hi everyone. Can anyone please elaborate the reason to get a notification that the solution is not converged? What is convergence tolerance related to? geometry or what else. Regards, Waqas.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.