Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Problem with 3D PDE thin layer mesh

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone

I encountered a problem with meshing a thin layer(~10e-6m) with 3D PDE model. I am not sure how to mesh such thin layer. Has anyone managed to mesh a similar case?

Looking forward to your reply.

2 Replies Last Post 11 feb 2013, 08:32 GMT-5
Fabrice Schlegel COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 8 feb 2013, 09:01 GMT-5

Dear Zhaoyang,

If this thin layer is orders of magnitude smaller than your geometry reference length, I would recommend replacing it by a boundary condition or a boundary PDE. A thin wall in a 3D flow simulation could be replaced by a 2 dimensional “interior wall” for instance. This will greatly reduce the computational load.

Alternatively, you can also use a structured mesh to discretize your thin domain. For more information on structured mesh, please refer to this video tutorial: www.comsol.com/video/267/ .

Best,
Fabrice
Dear Zhaoyang, If this thin layer is orders of magnitude smaller than your geometry reference length, I would recommend replacing it by a boundary condition or a boundary PDE. A thin wall in a 3D flow simulation could be replaced by a 2 dimensional “interior wall” for instance. This will greatly reduce the computational load. Alternatively, you can also use a structured mesh to discretize your thin domain. For more information on structured mesh, please refer to this video tutorial: http://www.comsol.com/video/267/ . Best, Fabrice

Posted: 1 decade ago 11 feb 2013, 08:32 GMT-5
Thank you for your reply. I will have a try.
Thank you for your reply. I will have a try.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.