Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Can't add point load to shell.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I can't add a point load to my shell for some reason.

I've tried adding all points, and the non-corner point has (not applicable) written after it.

Please could someone help me understand why this is and maybe suggest way around it?

Thanks in advance.

3 Replies Last Post 19 feb 2013, 15:23 GMT-5
Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 19 feb 2013, 09:33 GMT-5
What do you mean by “non-corner point”? You should be able to add a point load to any point that lies on an edge that is part of the shell boundary.
What do you mean by “non-corner point”? You should be able to add a point load to any point that lies on an edge that is part of the shell boundary.

Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 19 feb 2013, 11:31 GMT-5
Actually also on points which are not on the edge, but in the interior of a shell surface. See the model "Pratt Truss Bridge" for such an example.

So if a point is "Not Applicable" it is for some reason not part of the geometry on which the Shell interface is active.
Actually also on points which are not on the edge, but in the interior of a shell surface. See the model "Pratt Truss Bridge" for such an example. So if a point is "Not Applicable" it is for some reason not part of the geometry on which the Shell interface is active.

Posted: 1 decade ago 19 feb 2013, 15:23 GMT-5
Hi and thankyou for the responses. It ended up being that the z-position of my point had to be changed before it would let me add the point. My shell was 0.018m thick, so I initially tried to have the z-position of the point as 0.018m, but that didn't allow the point to be added. Only when I changed the z-position of the point to 0 did it allow it to be added.

Many thanks again.
Hi and thankyou for the responses. It ended up being that the z-position of my point had to be changed before it would let me add the point. My shell was 0.018m thick, so I initially tried to have the z-position of the point as 0.018m, but that didn't allow the point to be added. Only when I changed the z-position of the point to 0 did it allow it to be added. Many thanks again.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.