Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Time to Reach Steady State in a Diffusion Problem

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,
Is someone able to help me, please?
I'm using COMSOL to model a diffusion problem. I have solved it using the stationary solver. I am able to see that at steady state the concentration on the far edge is 0.025 mols, by clicking on the image and viewing the results tab.
Is there a better (more automated) way to get this value?

I would also like to know the time to reach steady state - the definition of steady state I have chosen is 95% of the concentration when solved using the stationary solver. How would I find that? So far I have used the time dependent solver, and laboriously clicked through each time point, judging when the concentration reaches 95% using the results tab.
I'm certain there must be a better way of doing this, but I'm unable to find the answer in the forum. Hope someone can help, thanks in advance.

4 Replies Last Post 4 mar 2013, 12:35 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 23 feb 2013, 14:25 GMT-5
Hi

you should study the "Results - Derived Values section, here you can Postprocess the Data Set results and then plot easily the results.

You have postprocessing operators such as integration averages, min, max and more

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi you should study the "Results - Derived Values section, here you can Postprocess the Data Set results and then plot easily the results. You have postprocessing operators such as integration averages, min, max and more -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 24 feb 2013, 14:47 GMT-5
Thanks for your help.
I'm now able to evaluate and record the concentration at a point.

Is there a quick way of evaluating a range of times?

Is there a way to extract the time to steady state?
Thanks
Thanks for your help. I'm now able to evaluate and record the concentration at a point. Is there a quick way of evaluating a range of times? Is there a way to extract the time to steady state? Thanks

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 25 feb 2013, 14:22 GMT-5
Hi

if you use the time solver you can either use the Derived values to extract complex or integration values versus the time, or you can integrate over the time (see help operators, postprocessing only) and get global values

Time o steady state depends on your diffusion, so you need to add some equations, or add a stationary solver to fins the INF value and check when you get to exp(-1) amplitude

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi if you use the time solver you can either use the Derived values to extract complex or integration values versus the time, or you can integrate over the time (see help operators, postprocessing only) and get global values Time o steady state depends on your diffusion, so you need to add some equations, or add a stationary solver to fins the INF value and check when you get to exp(-1) amplitude -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 4 mar 2013, 12:35 GMT-5
That's great.
Thank you for your help :)

Kat
That's great. Thank you for your help :) Kat

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.