Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Meshing thin plate with a hole

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am trying to mesh a simple thin (50 micron thickness) plate with a hole (attached image) in the center (dimensions 25e-3 x 25e-3 x 50e-6) by sweep meshing.
When I select the curved part as source and the boundary edge as target, I get an error saying that the "elements on the source and target do not match". I have same number of elements on both boundaries.

When I select the other way round, I get an error saying "invalid topology of sub-domain".

Please help.

Thanks

1 Reply Last Post 28 feb 2010, 17:15 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 28 feb 2010, 17:15 GMT-5
Hi
I belive that the sweep mesh is rather for surface to surface meshing, not involving edges, in the sens that you select 1/4 top suface=boundary and you make a triangular mesh, then you select the 1/4 voume=sub domain and you do a sweep mesh along the thickness, and you repeat for the 4 quadrants, this works for me. You can also define just the top surface in a 2D workplane, and create the 3D from an extrusion meshing along the perpendicular direction.

Ther are a couple of retrictions on the sweep mesh for complex shaped object, but generally it works quite fine. Often cut up my volume with interiour boundaries to make the meshing more straighforward

Hope this helps

Good luck
Ivar
Hi I belive that the sweep mesh is rather for surface to surface meshing, not involving edges, in the sens that you select 1/4 top suface=boundary and you make a triangular mesh, then you select the 1/4 voume=sub domain and you do a sweep mesh along the thickness, and you repeat for the 4 quadrants, this works for me. You can also define just the top surface in a 2D workplane, and create the 3D from an extrusion meshing along the perpendicular direction. Ther are a couple of retrictions on the sweep mesh for complex shaped object, but generally it works quite fine. Often cut up my volume with interiour boundaries to make the meshing more straighforward Hope this helps Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.