Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

functionality of time-dependent adaption

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I’m member of a research group at the University of Augsburg which is working on acoustic-wave-simulation in composite materials using COMSOL.

Since the problems we solve are extremely time-consuming, we want to perform a detailed analysis and tests of adaptive mesh refinement in combination with the time-dependent solver in order to improve the simulation-performance. Therefore we need in-depth knowledge of the algorithm’s functionality.

My study of:
Reference Guide / Advanced Solver Topics/Solver Algorithms/The Adaptive Solver Algorithm/ Time-dependent Adaption
left two details unresolved:

Question 1:
Which algorithm is used to calculate the values of the γ(i)-function? How is it based on the error-indicators at the different sample points?

Question2:
What is the “element-pick function”? Is it related to the “element-selection”-field? Which algorithm is used to implement the mesh-refinement? And how is the number of refinements in one mesh-element determined?

Regards and Thanks,
Ursula Weiß

1 Reply Last Post 26 feb 2013, 08:51 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 26 feb 2013, 08:51 GMT-5
Hi

I'm sure that if you ask Support, they would tell ;) and I have no clear idea

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I'm sure that if you ask Support, they would tell ;) and I have no clear idea -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.