Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Applying time derivative as a dirchlet boundary condition

Rahul Kishor Semiconductors

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I need to apply the time derivative of a displacement created in a piezomaterial as the velocity for a fluid boundary.....

Could someone please let me know as to how this can be handled in COMSOL....Eagerly waiting for your reply.....

Thanks in advance!!

Regards,
Rahul Kishor
Nanyang Technological University,Singapor

5 Replies Last Post 11 ago 2015, 22:35 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2 mar 2013, 02:54 GMT-5
Hi

check the internal variables of COMSOL, you have the ut and utt, implicit derivatives of the dependent variables.
But you can also couple via u (displacements) on the boundaries, no ?

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi check the internal variables of COMSOL, you have the ut and utt, implicit derivatives of the dependent variables. But you can also couple via u (displacements) on the boundaries, no ? -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 3 mar 2013, 23:10 GMT-5
Hi Ivar,

Could you please let me know as to what "coupling via u displacement" means...Is it similar to what I have done- ie
v= dU/dt , where v is the fluid velocity and U is the displacement of the piezomaterial......

When I set the above condition and compute.It throws the error-"Pointwise constraints for time derivatives are not supported."

Thanks,
Rahul Kishor
Hi Ivar, Could you please let me know as to what "coupling via u displacement" means...Is it similar to what I have done- ie v= dU/dt , where v is the fluid velocity and U is the displacement of the piezomaterial...... When I set the above condition and compute.It throws the error-"Pointwise constraints for time derivatives are not supported." Thanks, Rahul Kishor

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 4 mar 2013, 01:15 GMT-5
Hi

but on which "entity" are you applying your velocity ? It looks like you do it on a "point", COMSOL has only derivatives on boundaries, as most edges and points/vertex are singularities the the FEM math sens

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi but on which "entity" are you applying your velocity ? It looks like you do it on a "point", COMSOL has only derivatives on boundaries, as most edges and points/vertex are singularities the the FEM math sens -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 10 mar 2013, 11:21 GMT-4
Hello Ivar,

I have applied it along the boundary wall (interface between the fluid and the piezoelectric domain)......ie I have set in the "wall" - a moving velocity with the x component as ut and the y component as vt (where u and v are the dependent variables or the displacements in the pzd domain)......

Is there some workaround for it?

Regards,
Rahul Kishor
NTU, Singapore
Hello Ivar, I have applied it along the boundary wall (interface between the fluid and the piezoelectric domain)......ie I have set in the "wall" - a moving velocity with the x component as ut and the y component as vt (where u and v are the dependent variables or the displacements in the pzd domain)...... Is there some workaround for it? Regards, Rahul Kishor NTU, Singapore

Posted: 9 years ago 11 ago 2015, 22:35 GMT-4
Hi Rahul,

Did you get to solve this issue?

Thanks!
Hi Rahul, Did you get to solve this issue? Thanks!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.