Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Indirect solver

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi there.
Has anyone actually tried the indirect solvers of COMSOL? I used to think that the indirect solvers are more suitable for problems with high DOF because they don't directly inverse the matrix to solve the system of equations and instead they use other algorithms which require less memory to solve the system of equations. However I could never use an indirect solver of comsol successfully and every time although I start with challenging the indirect solvers first but finally I end up using the direct solvers because the indirect one also seems to be unable to treat large DOF problems. Does anybody have any experince about COMSOL's indirect solvers? Why COMSOL's solvers require so much memory compared to ANSYS for instance. What can I do for solving a large DOF system if I don't want to use largers mesh.
Thank you
Nastaran

0 Replies Last Post 1 mar 2010, 01:16 GMT-5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Nastaran Tamjidi

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.