Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Simulation filament formation Laminar two phase flow (level set)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

I wonder if someone can help me.

I would like to make a simulation using the Laminar two phase flow method (level set) coupled to an electrostatic simulation (ec module). Basically the idea is to simulate the formation of metallic filaments inside a semiconductor matrix for resistive memories.

The device (simulation 2D) is divided in two regions with different material (a metallic part with on top a semiconducting layer). It has two contacts one at the bottom (in contact with the metal layer) and one on the top (in contact with the semiconductor).

The interface between the two materials is not completely smooth and posses some "bumps" or tips. Those tips should be the seeds of the metallic filament.

When a bias is applied current flows and an electric field establish. The electric field is stronger at the tips along the interface between the two materials. This electric field should be the driving force to grow a metallic filament which crosses the semiconductor until does not touch the other contact establishing the short-circuit of the low conducting semicondcutor.

I am trying to model this with level set + EC modules within COMSOL 4.2. However, I have problems in coupling the two simulations, especially how to define the inlet and outlet of such a problem. Or do you think it would be better to directly define some "volume" force linked to the electrostatic simulation to get the force map across the system?

Any advice is very welcome.

Cheers

Alessio

0 Replies Last Post 9 mar 2013, 07:38 GMT-5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Alessio Gagliardi

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.