Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

hill plasticity

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
Trying to make hill plasticity non-symmetric so my question is; is it possible with different yield stress level in tension and compression.
Then in addition the plastic stage is confusion. How are hardening parameters given? as a list or is there only one parameter for all planes?

In hope :)

3 Replies Last Post 19 mar 2013, 11:24 GMT-4
Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 19 mar 2013, 09:54 GMT-4
Hi Staffan,

It’s not that easy. You cannot for example just use different Hill plasticity constants in tension and compression. That would lead to a discontinuous yield surface and convergence problems. One way to get different yield stresses in tension and compression is to make the yield surface a function of the mean stress or pressure. You will see that for example in the Mohr-Coulumb and Drucker-Prager soil material models (available in the COMSOL Geomechanics Module). These models are not anisotropic though like the Hill plasticity.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
Hi Staffan, It’s not that easy. You cannot for example just use different Hill plasticity constants in tension and compression. That would lead to a discontinuous yield surface and convergence problems. One way to get different yield stresses in tension and compression is to make the yield surface a function of the mean stress or pressure. You will see that for example in the Mohr-Coulumb and Drucker-Prager soil material models (available in the COMSOL Geomechanics Module). These models are not anisotropic though like the Hill plasticity. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 1 decade ago 19 mar 2013, 10:08 GMT-4
Thanks Nagi,
If I understand you right; the yield stresses should be defined as variables in global definitions as functions of current stress state?
What with the actual plasticity stage, do you know if hardening parameters can be given as vector or is one parameter/perfect plasticity the only option?

Still in hope :)

Thanks Nagi, If I understand you right; the yield stresses should be defined as variables in global definitions as functions of current stress state? What with the actual plasticity stage, do you know if hardening parameters can be given as vector or is one parameter/perfect plasticity the only option? Still in hope :)

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 19 mar 2013, 11:24 GMT-4
You're welcome.

Yes, the yield function can be a user-defined function of the stress state, and so can the flow rule. The hardening affects the yield stress (part of the yield function) by making it also a function of a scalar measure of plastic strain (or a vector in your case). I believe that can be done too in COMSOL.

My advice when it comes to making significant changes to plasticity though is to select a well-established material model from the literature to implement since there are many subtle issues involved.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
You're welcome. Yes, the yield function can be a user-defined function of the stress state, and so can the flow rule. The hardening affects the yield stress (part of the yield function) by making it also a function of a scalar measure of plastic strain (or a vector in your case). I believe that can be done too in COMSOL. My advice when it comes to making significant changes to plasticity though is to select a well-established material model from the literature to implement since there are many subtle issues involved. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.