Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Drude Model in Transient Simulation

Cristian Della Giovampaola

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am trying to simulate in time domain the propagating wave along a metal/dielectric interface, where the metal permittivity is following the drude model. The way I approached that problem is that I added PDE mode to the model solving the following equation for the polarization P

d^2/dt^2 (P)=Epsilon0*(Wp^2)*E(t)

Then I input this P into the metal domains, instead of using some value of epsilon as done conventionally

where Epsilon0 is the free space permittivity, Wp is the angular plasma frequency, and E(t) is the electric field.

When I use Wp that is much lower than my operating frequency, i.e the metal behaves as a positive epsilon dielectric, the setup works very nicely, however if i just raise Wp, so that I have negative epsilon medium (which is what I need to simulate), the model gives results that does not make any sense. I tried increasing the mesh at the interface and tried many other tricks that I thought may be the reason but still not working, any suggestions ?

Thank you so much !!

1 Reply Last Post 17 set 2016, 13:01 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Cristian Della Giovampaola

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 8 years ago 17 set 2016, 13:01 GMT-4
Hello, I need help for exactly the same thing. Did you get any solution for it at that time ? Please let me know.

Thanks a lot !! Waiting for your response.
Hello, I need help for exactly the same thing. Did you get any solution for it at that time ? Please let me know. Thanks a lot !! Waiting for your response.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.