Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

imported model creates extra domain

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I have a simple 3D model that I've exported from Solidworks as a Parasolid x_t file and the pulled the Parasolid file into COMSOL. I am having a meshing issue which I have tracked down to a "ghost" domain.

The model was imported using 1e-6 tolerance, solids, surfaces, check for errors and repair. Everything looks fine except that there is an extra domain that is not in the drawing.

Domain 5 appears as a domain in the materials list, however, I cannot select this entity in the drawing in Geometry 1. Also, Domain 5 is where the issue appears during meshing.

If I could select this "ghost" entity, I would delete to see if that helps.

Does anyone in the Forum have a guess as to what might be going on? Attached is the COMSOL file.

Thanks,

Art

2 Replies Last Post 26 mar 2013, 13:07 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 26 mar 2013, 01:54 GMT-4
Hi

normally you can always select it from the Selection List "View" then once selected into any physics Zoom in with the Zoom icon next o the physics selection list (by the cut & past icons slightly to the right) if you turn on wireframe you should see it.

You could also check for silver faces or vertex in the CAD de featuring (check the doc)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi normally you can always select it from the Selection List "View" then once selected into any physics Zoom in with the Zoom icon next o the physics selection list (by the cut & past icons slightly to the right) if you turn on wireframe you should see it. You could also check for silver faces or vertex in the CAD de featuring (check the doc) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 26 mar 2013, 13:07 GMT-4
Hi Ivar,

Thanks for your response. I tried everything that you suggested and also tried the "Delete Entities" feature. The strange thing is the the "ghost" domain only shows up in the Material domain selection and the mesh. Did you take a look at the file I posted?

Otherwise, I cannot get it to light up on the drawing. I believe that I also found it as a sliver face but the program would not allow me to delete it.

Do you have any more suggestions?

Thanks,

Art
Hi Ivar, Thanks for your response. I tried everything that you suggested and also tried the "Delete Entities" feature. The strange thing is the the "ghost" domain only shows up in the Material domain selection and the mesh. Did you take a look at the file I posted? Otherwise, I cannot get it to light up on the drawing. I believe that I also found it as a sliver face but the program would not allow me to delete it. Do you have any more suggestions? Thanks, Art

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.