Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Symmetry

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I have a question. Could you tell me how I can apply the symmetry part to the part non-symetric ? You can see on the attached picture the situation. Left the symmetry part and right the non-symmetry part.

Thanks,
Quentin

1 Reply Last Post 30 mar 2013, 03:09 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 30 mar 2013, 03:09 GMT-4
Hi

Does it mean that you want to model the symmetric part as 1/2 and apply symmetry BC to it, but still connect it to the non symmetri part over some boundary load ?

In fact one could also think of a 2D-axi part that is coupled to a 3D non symmetric part, is this the same for you ?

Then one need to define the interactions, a local pressure on a common boundary ? and is it one way or two ways.

If its one way, I would suggest to make two "model" , even under the same files solve them separately, and link them via the mod1... repssectively mod2... variables

Else, if everything is in the same model, I would consider studying the Definition Coupling Variables (projection and extrusion ...)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Does it mean that you want to model the symmetric part as 1/2 and apply symmetry BC to it, but still connect it to the non symmetri part over some boundary load ? In fact one could also think of a 2D-axi part that is coupled to a 3D non symmetric part, is this the same for you ? Then one need to define the interactions, a local pressure on a common boundary ? and is it one way or two ways. If its one way, I would suggest to make two "model" , even under the same files solve them separately, and link them via the mod1... repssectively mod2... variables Else, if everything is in the same model, I would consider studying the Definition Coupling Variables (projection and extrusion ...) -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.