Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Thermal Stress Evaluation without Solving Heat Transfer Physics

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am trying to generate Thermal Stress about the domain of a spherical body with a coupled 'Solid Mechanics' and 'Heat Transfer in Solids' physics.

Instead of actually solving the heat transfer Temperature distribution, I want to impose a Temperature distribution about the body as a function of the radius to induce stress.

i.e. T(r)=2.4600e+14*r^2+8600 [NB: Not actual syntax I am using]

As I am new to COMSOL 4.3a, I cannot figure out how to go about doing this. Can anyone assist me in performing this implementation.

8 Replies Last Post 29 set 2013, 02:13 GMT-4
Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 2 apr 2013, 23:26 GMT-4
Hi Philip,

If you are imposing the temperature distribution then just use the Solid Mechanics physics, activate the Thermal Expansion sub-node of the Linear Elastic Material (or whatever material you are using), and enter the temperature field in the Settings Window.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
Hi Philip, If you are imposing the temperature distribution then just use the Solid Mechanics physics, activate the Thermal Expansion sub-node of the Linear Elastic Material (or whatever material you are using), and enter the temperature field in the Settings Window. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 1 decade ago 3 apr 2013, 00:27 GMT-4
I am unable to locate the particular subnode that you recommended using. You solution sounds as if it would be very beneficial if I could locate the subnode. Could you advice me as to where this subnode would be located for version 4.3a?

Thank you.
I am unable to locate the particular subnode that you recommended using. You solution sounds as if it would be very beneficial if I could locate the subnode. Could you advice me as to where this subnode would be located for version 4.3a? Thank you.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 3 apr 2013, 01:42 GMT-4
Hi as Nagi said:

"Thermal Expansion sub-node of the Linear Elastic Material" (right click Linear Elastic Material node)

bt there might be some need for HT and SOLID to get that ? (I cannot tell as I have both, and I'm not by my WS to test it out)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi as Nagi said: "Thermal Expansion sub-node of the Linear Elastic Material" (right click Linear Elastic Material node) bt there might be some need for HT and SOLID to get that ? (I cannot tell as I have both, and I'm not by my WS to test it out) -- Good luck Ivar

Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 3 apr 2013, 01:56 GMT-4
Hi,

A license for Structural Mechanics or MEMS.is required for having access to the Thermal expansion subnode. Check under Options->Licences.

Regards,
Henrik
Hi, A license for Structural Mechanics or MEMS.is required for having access to the Thermal expansion subnode. Check under Options->Licences. Regards, Henrik

Posted: 1 decade ago 9 apr 2013, 00:08 GMT-4
Thank you.

It was a license issue and it was resolved and the problem was solved. Thank you again
Thank you. It was a license issue and it was resolved and the problem was solved. Thank you again

Posted: 1 decade ago 9 apr 2013, 00:09 GMT-4
Thank you.

It was a license issue and it was resolved and the problem was solved. Thank you again
Thank you. It was a license issue and it was resolved and the problem was solved. Thank you again

Posted: 1 decade ago 9 apr 2013, 00:09 GMT-4
Thank you.

Posted: 1 decade ago 29 set 2013, 02:13 GMT-4
Dear Philip,
I have a same problem with you. And I check in my license. I dont see the tick at the structural mechanics module. But I can not click it. Could you tell me some more about your solutions?
If you have any advices, can you tell me here or at my email: n1301790g@e.ntu.edu.sg
Thanks
Dear Philip, I have a same problem with you. And I check in my license. I dont see the tick at the structural mechanics module. But I can not click it. Could you tell me some more about your solutions? If you have any advices, can you tell me here or at my email: n1301790g@e.ntu.edu.sg Thanks

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.