Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

cubic bezier curve

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello!

I have some problems in a project:

In the geometry I attached to this message I designed a part of tensile test sample to simulate the stress and strain in the sample. Between the upper, broader rectangle and the lower, slimmer rectangle I placed a cubic bezier curve with the points PT1, PT2, PT3 and PT4 as a connection.
In the CAD-model of this sample (that I'll send to the person producing the sample to make experiments in the end) I'll have to construct this connection with two circles with tangentially constant transitions to the upper rectangle, to the lower rectangle and between the circles.

No my big question is:
Will the comsol-model and the CAD-modell be the same (or almost the same)?
And will it still be like this, if I, for example, place PT4 a bit lower to make a smoother transition (I would also change the CAD model with giving the lower circle a bigger radius and changing its place a little bit for a smoother transition)?

If I just put circles over the comsol model do find it out by myself it looks quite similar, but I'm not sure about the mathmetics...

An answer would rescue me! Thanks a lot in advance!
Greetings,

Frederik

PS: Sorry if my English isn't the best, especially at the technical terms, I'm from Germany.

1 Reply Last Post 5 apr 2013, 14:58 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 5 apr 2013, 14:58 GMT-4
Hi

In a CAD tool you might tend to use 2 tangeant half circles and a tangeant line between the half circles, this you can also do in COMSOL, with some care.
I would say you could make both and compare the results in COMSOL to see if you really notice any true difference

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi In a CAD tool you might tend to use 2 tangeant half circles and a tangeant line between the half circles, this you can also do in COMSOL, with some care. I would say you could make both and compare the results in COMSOL to see if you really notice any true difference -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.