Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

meshvol

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I'm looking to extract the area/volume of each mesh element of my model. I then discovered the quantity meshvol. However I'm not exactly sure what this gives me: using meshvol I get a scalar value for each node; what does this value represent actually?

Thanks.

2 Replies Last Post 17 apr 2013, 02:22 GMT-4
Sven Friedel COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 10 apr 2013, 10:21 GMT-4
Hi Olivier,

have a look at the attached file with a very simple mesh. You can Export the meshvol with a Export data feature.
The default export is the value in nodes, but you can also specify any given point set, e.g. the midpoints of the cells.
Those, you can for instance determine from Mesh 1 > Export to file.

Hope that helps!

Sven
Hi Olivier, have a look at the attached file with a very simple mesh. You can Export the meshvol with a Export data feature. The default export is the value in nodes, but you can also specify any given point set, e.g. the midpoints of the cells. Those, you can for instance determine from Mesh 1 > Export to file. Hope that helps! Sven

Gunnar Andersson COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 17 apr 2013, 02:22 GMT-4
If you have solved the model and you have simplicial elements (i.e., triangles or tetrahedra), then you can export the areas/volumes of the elements as follows:

- Results > Export: Add Data
- Set the expression to meshvol.
- Expand the Advanced section and change "Evaluate in" to "Gauss points".
- Browse to some filename.
- Export.
If you have solved the model and you have simplicial elements (i.e., triangles or tetrahedra), then you can export the areas/volumes of the elements as follows: - Results > Export: Add Data - Set the expression to meshvol. - Expand the Advanced section and change "Evaluate in" to "Gauss points". - Browse to some filename. - Export.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.