Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

[Issues with a mesh-NITF physics-Heat Flux Sensor simulation]

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

I have an issue while adding an air layer to my model.

Description of the project:

I am trying to simulate a heat flux sensor in order to improve its design. To approach my sensor I need to add some thermal resistive layers accounting for the glue I used during the build up.

Description of the problem:

When I add a second (circular) air layer under the substrate of my sensor (Geometry 1 -> Air Layer Keramic (1/2) and (2/2)), I can still generate the mesh properly.

However, as I run the simulation (study 7-steady state) the following error appears:

Problem setting up multigrid.
Failed to build feature 'Boundary Layers 1' in sequence 'Mesh 1'.
- x-coord: -1.76
- y-coord: -1.76
- z-coord: 24.265
- Detail: Could not shif the boundary node at all

The error is available in attachment as error.png

Description of the files allowing to reproduce the problem:

1) The error.png is a figure that shows the COMSOL error.
2) The 3D_laminar_8cores_1layer.mph is a COMSOL simulation where the mesh is successfully generated and that runs without problems.
3) The 3D_laminar_8cores_2layers.mph is the same file as 3D_laminar_8cores_1layer.mph despite a second air layer was added (see Description of the problem) to account for the glue between the substrate (keramic) and the housing (kovar).

Expected answer:

I hope someone can reproduce the problem and provide me hints about how to modify my mesh in order to prevent the multigrid error.

Is there anyway to solve the problem without the multigrid approach?

With Kind Regards,

Meier Thierry

PS: I cleared all meshes and solution of my model before uploading them (to reduce their size).

1 Reply Last Post 11 apr 2013, 05:29 GMT-4
Zoran Vidakovic, COMSOL COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 11 apr 2013, 05:29 GMT-4
Dear Thierry,

I had a quick look at your model and suggest to take advantage of symmetries. You can reduce the geometry by a factor of 8, which saves computational costs and allows a better mesh resolution where required.

If you still get stuck consider also contacting COMSOL Support for more detailed help.

Best regards,

Zoran
Dear Thierry, I had a quick look at your model and suggest to take advantage of symmetries. You can reduce the geometry by a factor of 8, which saves computational costs and allows a better mesh resolution where required. If you still get stuck consider also contacting COMSOL Support for more detailed help. Best regards, Zoran

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.