Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Pipe flow module / Falied to evluate variable Jacobian

Ishant Jain Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am working over a simple pipe flow problem, where I encountered with an Jacobial Error saying ;

Failed to evaluate variable Jacobian.
- Variable: mod1.nipfl.u3
- Geometry: 1
- Boundary: 7 10 13

I request you to kindly help me.

This is a coupled HT and Isothermal pipe flow problem, where three straight pipes are used to cool the structure. I think, I am facing problem with the initial value i.e. Tangential velocity for which I don't know the sifnificance of it niether it is explained with the mold cooling module ( example model )

Please see the Jpeg Image.

PFA

--
Ishant Jain
R&DSS, TSL, Jamshedpur

4 Replies Last Post 24 apr 2013, 03:30 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 19 apr 2013, 10:02 GMT-4
Hi

I do no longer have the pipe flow so I'm not sure about the settings in particular for the pressure, but you would certainly NOT have a constant pressure all the way ALONG the tubes, at best at entry or exit, exclusively.

Then there is the question about relative or absolute pressure, normally you set the gauge pressure to 1[atm] in the physics node and you solve for "differential pressure

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I do no longer have the pipe flow so I'm not sure about the settings in particular for the pressure, but you would certainly NOT have a constant pressure all the way ALONG the tubes, at best at entry or exit, exclusively. Then there is the question about relative or absolute pressure, normally you set the gauge pressure to 1[atm] in the physics node and you solve for "differential pressure -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 23 apr 2013, 01:15 GMT-4
Dear Ivar,

I even couldn't be able to figure it out. There is no issue with the pressure, however it is showing error with the tangential velocity (u3) of pipe.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Failed to evaluate variable Jacobian.
- Variable: mod1.nipfl.u3
- Geometry: 1
- Boundary: 7 10 13

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am unaware of this terminology, tangential velocity, therefore request you to out some light on it.

--
ishantiitk@gmail.com
Dear Ivar, I even couldn't be able to figure it out. There is no issue with the pressure, however it is showing error with the tangential velocity (u3) of pipe. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Failed to evaluate variable Jacobian. - Variable: mod1.nipfl.u3 - Geometry: 1 - Boundary: 7 10 13 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am unaware of this terminology, tangential velocity, therefore request you to out some light on it. -- ishantiitk@gmail.com

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 23 apr 2013, 05:18 GMT-4
Hi

the most frequent issue with Jacobian errors, are related to non-continuous BC equations, be sure you give scalars, or CONTINUOUS functions for all entries in the BC settings. At best use the "smooth" step or rectangle functions under Model Definitions Functions

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi the most frequent issue with Jacobian errors, are related to non-continuous BC equations, be sure you give scalars, or CONTINUOUS functions for all entries in the BC settings. At best use the "smooth" step or rectangle functions under Model Definitions Functions -- Good luck Ivar

Ishant Jain Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago 24 apr 2013, 03:30 GMT-4

Thanks, But, as asked earlier, please help me to understand the meaning of Tangential Velocity and its significance.

I only have the Flow velocity, Which I have defined in inlet.

--
Ishant Jain
Thanks, But, as asked earlier, please help me to understand the meaning of Tangential Velocity and its significance. I only have the Flow velocity, Which I have defined in inlet. -- Ishant Jain

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.