Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Efficient time-periodic steady-state analysis using Optimization Module?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

To compute phenomena like the eddy currents induced in the rotor of an electric machine at steady state (or an induction motor at steady-state), a full transient simulation is normally needed. Because the simulation must start from a known initial state (typically rest) many electrical cycles are usually required to reach steady state conditions, making it VERY time consuming to do (especially in 3D).

I know there's been a lot research into methods that will directly solve for the time-periodic steady-state solution (without the need for a full, time-stepped, transient) but to my knowledge none of the reported methods have made their way into commercial FEA software. However, I did notice that in the latest COMSOL release (4.3b) there was blurb about a tutorial example that uses the Optimization Module to find the "long-term periodic steady-state solution to a nonlinear time-dependent simulation." Does that mean COMSOL can now solve these types of problems directly? That would be great, if so. And if so, does anyone know how that works? As indicated above, I'm interested in applying this to certain rotating electric machinery analyses.

Thanks for any feedback on this!

Pat

0 Replies Last Post 6 giu 2013, 11:36 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Patrick Kelecy

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.