Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Comsol 3D Simulations Memory Requirements

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am simulating inductor coil with shielding and square surrounding the arrangment. While solving the problem in 3D I am getting this error, for this much of DOF how much ram I would need to compute that?
My computer has these properties
I have core i7-3770 @3.40 GHz
16 GB RAM

Error:
Comsol: 4.3.2.152
Formed union of 4 solid objects.
Finalized geometry has 4 domains, 35 boundaries, 68 edges, and 40 vertices.
Complete mesh consists of 2637543 domain elements, 412426 boundary elements, and 4770 edge elements.
Number of degrees of freedom solved for: 16727836

2 Replies Last Post 13 giu 2013, 05:56 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 12 giu 2013, 10:08 GMT-4
I have attached the image of task manager
I have attached the image of task manager

Posted: 1 decade ago 13 giu 2013, 05:56 GMT-4
Hi,

I am working on a system with 16 GB RAM, too. With the magnetic and electric fields interface, I can usually handle up to 300.000 mesh elements without problems.

Modify the mesh until your model fits into the memory (COMSOL task should not allocate more than 14 GB).

Or you approach the problem from the other side: Start with a very coarse mesh, solve the problem, create a finer mesh, solve the problem, create a more finer mesh, solve, and so on. Until the accuracy of the solution is good enough or until you reach the 14 GB limit.
Hi, I am working on a system with 16 GB RAM, too. With the magnetic and electric fields interface, I can usually handle up to 300.000 mesh elements without problems. Modify the mesh until your model fits into the memory (COMSOL task should not allocate more than 14 GB). Or you approach the problem from the other side: Start with a very coarse mesh, solve the problem, create a finer mesh, solve the problem, create a more finer mesh, solve, and so on. Until the accuracy of the solution is good enough or until you reach the 14 GB limit.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.