Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Boundary conditions

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear COMSOL Community,

I am quite new in COMSOL world and I would like to ask some help for my problem.

I am trying to simulate neuron behaviour.
I started with a really simple model to see if everything works, so my model has 2 sphere domains:
- internal sphere is a neuron;
- external sphere is the extracellular space.
I implemented the Hodgkin-Huxley equations to simulate the active properties of the neuron.

At this moment to make firing the neuron I'm giving a distributed current pulse to all the neuron's boundaries (A/m^2). However, I would like to set the current pulse only in a portion of my sphere, so only in 1 boundary, and give the current pulse only in that boundary. Yet, this condition doesn't work, because comsol says that I might have reached a singularity.
I also tried to add a current point source inside my neuron, but the simulation took too long time and I stopped because I thought I did something wrong.

Is there someone that can help me or has some suggestion to solve/bypass this problem?

I hope I made clear.
Thank you!

0 Replies Last Post 1 lug 2013, 04:32 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Rocco Pulizzi

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.