Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Using a function for Permeability value

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello!

I am new to the software. I am modeling fluid flow through the annulus of a pipe coupled to a porous media and am using the Free and Porous Media Flow physics interface. The permeability of the porous material is a function dependant on length of the material. The equation (from experimental data) is: f(x)=exp(-0.077*x+3.9)

It will not let me put this in directly because:

a) x is only in meters, not meters squared
b) it is having trouble understanding exp(x), instead of just a value

Any ideas are appreciated!

Amber

2 Replies Last Post 16 lug 2013, 11:15 GMT-4
Josh Thomas Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago 15 lug 2013, 15:41 GMT-4
Amber-

Use:

exp(-0.077*x[1/m]+3.9)[m^2]

Your function f(x) I bet is units of m^2. These are the correct units for permeability.

Also, I think you should be reading in the x dimension as unitless by adding the [1/m] after x.

My guess is that you were getting the expression to turn orange which is not a fatal error (usually just a units warning). You should, however, get a black expression if you use the function I gave above. As long as the expression in your edit field isn't red you will still be able to run the model (you just may have incorrect units).

Best regards,
Josh Thomas
AltaSim Technologies
Amber- Use: exp(-0.077*x[1/m]+3.9)[m^2] Your function f(x) I bet is units of m^2. These are the correct units for permeability. Also, I think you should be reading in the x dimension as unitless by adding the [1/m] after x. My guess is that you were getting the expression to turn orange which is not a fatal error (usually just a units warning). You should, however, get a black expression if you use the function I gave above. As long as the expression in your edit field isn't red you will still be able to run the model (you just may have incorrect units). Best regards, Josh Thomas AltaSim Technologies

Posted: 1 decade ago 16 lug 2013, 11:15 GMT-4
Mr. Thomas,

Thank you for your response! That worked perfect. I appreciate the help!

Sincerely,

Amber
Mr. Thomas, Thank you for your response! That worked perfect. I appreciate the help! Sincerely, Amber

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.