Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Photocurrent calculation in RF module

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Greetings

I have a solar cell (silicon brick) with metallic rods on the top surface. This is well known structure to enhance the solar cell responsivity with plasmonic effects.
So I want to calculate a photocurrent that can be generated by my structure. To do this I need to know the optical generation rate in the silicon brick. Usually the following formula is used: ecee.colorado.edu/~bart/book/book/chapter4/gif/eq4_7_4.gif . But how can I take in account the impact of plasmonic structure on the top surface? Maybe I should calculate the energy flux (z component of Poynting vector) through the top surface of silicon brick and use it as an input optical power? But in this case how could I know the absorption coefficient of silicon due to a surface plasmon wavelength is shorter than excitation wavelength?

Thank you.

4 Replies Last Post 9 gen 2017, 19:10 GMT-5

Posted: 1 decade ago 18 lug 2013, 19:53 GMT-4
I have found the answer on my question. If someone interested read here www.lumerical.com/solutions/innovation/optoelectronic_modeling_photosensitive_devices.html
I have found the answer on my question. If someone interested read here http://www.lumerical.com/solutions/innovation/optoelectronic_modeling_photosensitive_devices.html

Posted: 1 decade ago 19 lug 2013, 01:19 GMT-4
One thing I didn't understand is how they assume that the optical power absorbed per unit volume is equal to www.lumerical.com/resources/images/formula2.jpg . According to Poynting theorem there should be also a magnetic field component and component representing the ohmic losses or power generated by some source. Since we have no power sources or ohmic losses inside the silicon brick I agree that this component is equal to zero. But what about component with magnetic field?
One thing I didn't understand is how they assume that the optical power absorbed per unit volume is equal to http://www.lumerical.com/resources/images/formula2.jpg . According to Poynting theorem there should be also a magnetic field component and component representing the ohmic losses or power generated by some source. Since we have no power sources or ohmic losses inside the silicon brick I agree that this component is equal to zero. But what about component with magnetic field?

Posted: 9 years ago 28 dic 2015, 22:02 GMT-5
I have A question how can I calculate the absorption vs wavelength in the active layer of the following structure
PML/back contact / Active layer / top contact /Air /PML

illuminated by scattered field formulation Ex=E0*exp(-j*kx*x) moving along z direction

is the following formula correct

Abs=0.5*sig*intop1(-relpoav)
where sig=2*pi*freq*im(eps)Si
and relpoav=nx*emw.relpoavx+ny*emw.relpoavy+nz*emw.relpoavz

and intop1 is the volume integration over the active layer volume

I have A question how can I calculate the absorption vs wavelength in the active layer of the following structure PML/back contact / Active layer / top contact /Air /PML illuminated by scattered field formulation Ex=E0*exp(-j*kx*x) moving along z direction is the following formula correct Abs=0.5*sig*intop1(-relpoav) where sig=2*pi*freq*im(eps)Si and relpoav=nx*emw.relpoavx+ny*emw.relpoavy+nz*emw.relpoavz and intop1 is the volume integration over the active layer volume

Posted: 8 years ago 9 gen 2017, 19:10 GMT-5
Hello, I saw that you found the solution. I am new to Comsol and am learning to model Solar cells. So far, I have failed to find a way to calculate photo-current. It would be of Immense help if you could please share the .mph file.
Thanks a lot.
Hello, I saw that you found the solution. I am new to Comsol and am learning to model Solar cells. So far, I have failed to find a way to calculate photo-current. It would be of Immense help if you could please share the .mph file. Thanks a lot.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.