Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Darcy Law using PDE

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I'm trying to implement the Continuity Equation with Darcy law and the Energy equation using a PDE (base package). The Darcy equation in the continuity is u=-(k/mu)*d(p,x) where k is the permeability, mu is the viscosity, and p is the pressure varying with x. However, when I try to implement u in the Energy equation, the term (rho*Cp*u)dT/dx doesn't not work well. I've seen some examples using u.dl, but I'm not sure what is dl. When I try to add it in the equation, the model doesn't recognize dl.

Does anyone has any clue?

Thanks.

Marco

3 Replies Last Post 27 ago 2013, 09:11 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 26 ago 2013, 04:54 GMT-4
Hi,

In the term, dl.u, dl refers to the model identifier, look for its meaning in the manual. This gives full reference to the variable - so that variables can be used appropriately.

You don't need dl, because this is the default identifier for the in-built Darcy's law in subsurface module. COMSOL would not recognize dl.u because you have not defined it.

With your description, I don't know where you have a problem. But when you set up such equations on your own via PDEs, then verify the individual PDEs with analytical solution or other numerical solutions, then you can be confident to proceed with the coupling.

Suresh
Hi, In the term, dl.u, dl refers to the model identifier, look for its meaning in the manual. This gives full reference to the variable - so that variables can be used appropriately. You don't need dl, because this is the default identifier for the in-built Darcy's law in subsurface module. COMSOL would not recognize dl.u because you have not defined it. With your description, I don't know where you have a problem. But when you set up such equations on your own via PDEs, then verify the individual PDEs with analytical solution or other numerical solutions, then you can be confident to proceed with the coupling. Suresh

Posted: 1 decade ago 26 ago 2013, 11:04 GMT-4
Yes. That was the problem.

Thank you very much. It's working.

Marco

Yes. That was the problem. Thank you very much. It's working. Marco

Posted: 1 decade ago 27 ago 2013, 09:11 GMT-4
Hey guys,

Only one more question. The code is working well, but when I set u=-(k/mu)*d(p,x) instead u=-(k/mu)*px to simulate Darcy's equation, I have noticed different results.

Do you guys know the difference between d(p,x) and px?

Thanks.

Marco
Hey guys, Only one more question. The code is working well, but when I set u=-(k/mu)*d(p,x) instead u=-(k/mu)*px to simulate Darcy's equation, I have noticed different results. Do you guys know the difference between d(p,x) and px? Thanks. Marco

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.