Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How do I make a coil with variable pitch

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am trying to make a circular cross section helix in comsol 4.2. And the pitch is basically a function of x. I tried to input the equation where I am asked to input axial pitch. But for some reason comsol is not recognizing the term "x". I have done transient simulations before where I have used functions of time "t" and they were working.

Any suggestions where am I going wrong?

3 Replies Last Post 5 ott 2013, 20:24 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 5 ott 2013, 17:04 GMT-4
In case anyone else runs into similar situation, I figured it out. Simply use parametric curve with equations of helix. The z-coordinate will have to be changed according to the desired pitch law.

For example, x=rcos(t) y=rsin(t) z=r*t*t
In case anyone else runs into similar situation, I figured it out. Simply use parametric curve with equations of helix. The z-coordinate will have to be changed according to the desired pitch law. For example, x=rcos(t) y=rsin(t) z=r*t*t

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago 5 ott 2013, 17:19 GMT-4
Lokesh,

thanks for coming back with this useful piece of information. That's the spirit of a user community!

Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Lokesh, thanks for coming back with this useful piece of information. That's the spirit of a user community! Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com

Posted: 1 decade ago 5 ott 2013, 20:24 GMT-4
my two cents to keep the forum interesting :)
my two cents to keep the forum interesting :)

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.