Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Displaying simulation results as raw as possible

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello there,

I am quite new in using and COMSOL and I was wondering why - when displaying a component of the current density - each element (tetrahedron) is displayed not with a single color but rather with a colored gradient even if smoothing is turned off. As far as I understand quantities such as the current density should be defined for an individual element rather than its belonging nodal points. If this is correct then how can I assign just one value (color) to this element?

Thanks in advance,
Kristoffer

7 Replies Last Post 8 ott 2013, 12:23 GMT-4
Sven Friedel COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 8 ott 2013, 01:52 GMT-4
Hi Kristoffer,

several reasons contribute here:

1) The standard dicretization of say the elctric current interface is quadratic, hence the current density varies within one element still linearly. (remedy: change the discretization by Options > Preferences > Show > Discretization. It will appear in the settings window of the electtric currents interface.)

2) The smoothing of the visualization adds extra postprocessing elements discretization and smoothing (remedy: In the surface plot > Quality set resolution to "no refinement" and smoothing to "none".

See my example attached.

Best regards from Zurich
Sven
Hi Kristoffer, several reasons contribute here: 1) The standard dicretization of say the elctric current interface is quadratic, hence the current density varies within one element still linearly. (remedy: change the discretization by Options > Preferences > Show > Discretization. It will appear in the settings window of the electtric currents interface.) 2) The smoothing of the visualization adds extra postprocessing elements discretization and smoothing (remedy: In the surface plot > Quality set resolution to "no refinement" and smoothing to "none". See my example attached. Best regards from Zurich Sven

Posted: 1 decade ago 8 ott 2013, 03:00 GMT-4
Dear Sven,

thanks for this quick reply. It looks as if this is exactly what I was looking for. Unfortunately it seems as if the simulation has to be set-up again from the beginning because this discretization option does not appear in already saved files.

Kind regards from Baden,
Kristoffer
Dear Sven, thanks for this quick reply. It looks as if this is exactly what I was looking for. Unfortunately it seems as if the simulation has to be set-up again from the beginning because this discretization option does not appear in already saved files. Kind regards from Baden, Kristoffer

Posted: 1 decade ago 8 ott 2013, 03:54 GMT-4
Hi,

you can change discretisation later, but you need to switch on some advances settings,
See icons at top of "Model builder".

Regards

Jens
Hi, you can change discretisation later, but you need to switch on some advances settings, See icons at top of "Model builder". Regards Jens

Posted: 1 decade ago 8 ott 2013, 05:59 GMT-4
Hi Jens,

I think I found the option that you mentioned in the Model Builder but checking the corresponding option does not show up the discrtization option in the physics interface then.

Kind regards,
Kristoffer
Hi Jens, I think I found the option that you mentioned in the Model Builder but checking the corresponding option does not show up the discrtization option in the physics interface then. Kind regards, Kristoffer

Posted: 1 decade ago 8 ott 2013, 09:57 GMT-4
Hi Kristoffer,

there are two ways to switch on the display of Discretization screen1.jpg OR screen2.jpg should be enough to allow you the settings as displayed in screen3.jpg

Sven
Hi Kristoffer, there are two ways to switch on the display of Discretization screen1.jpg OR screen2.jpg should be enough to allow you the settings as displayed in screen3.jpg Sven

Posted: 1 decade ago 8 ott 2013, 10:38 GMT-4
I tried both versions (screen1.jpg and screen2.jpg). Unfortunately this does't result in screen3.jpg (except for setting up a new simulation).
I tried both versions (screen1.jpg and screen2.jpg). Unfortunately this does't result in screen3.jpg (except for setting up a new simulation).

Posted: 1 decade ago 8 ott 2013, 12:23 GMT-4
Dear Kristoffer,

this sounds very strange - can you send me the model via support@comsol.com ?

Sven Friedel
Dear Kristoffer, this sounds very strange - can you send me the model via support@comsol.com ? Sven Friedel

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.